Textbook error relating to uncountability?

In summary, the conversation discusses a passage in a textbook about communications systems that claims taking the limit of a sequence of vectors results in a continuous function, which may not be true according to Cantor's second theorem. It is mentioned that there are different types of limits for sequences of functions and that the book should have used step functions. The conversation also touches on the difference between math and engineering and how this statement may be true for bandwidth-limited signals.
JerryG
I am reading a textbook about communications systems, and just came across a part that I believe to be wrong. As shown below, it says that if you take a vector g = [g(t1) g(t2) ... g(tN)] and take the limit as the number of samples goes to infinity, the result is a continuous function of t. Wouldn't this imply a bijection between the natural numbers and a continuous interval which was disproven by cantor's second theorem?

bij1.gif

bij2.gif

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Informal statements are often saved from outright errors by being vague. That passage did not give a definition for [itex] lim_{N \rightarrow \infty} \mathbb{g} [/itex].

The definition of a limit of a sequence of vectors (which can be regarded as a sequence of function) cannot be deduced from the definition of the type of limit used in calculus, which deals with the limit of a single function at a given point. There are actually many different types of limits that are defined for sequences of functions. I'd have to look these up and re-study them before I could swear that none of them make the book's statement true.

You are correct that the infinite sequence of discrete time samples does not ever become an uncountable set.

Stephen Tashi said:
There are actually many different types of limits that are defined for sequences of functions. I'd have to look these up and re-study them before I could swear that none of them make the book's statement true.

A "sequence of functions" would require the domains to be the same though...
The only option I could think is define the sequence of sequences
[itex]h = [g(t_1), \ldots, g(t_N), 0, 0, \ldots][/itex]
and then look at limits. Err.

The book really should have used step functions.

pwsnafu said:
A "sequence of functions" would require the domains to be the same though...

Yes, by many definitions it would. But statisticians say things like "For large N the binomial distribution can be approximated by a normal distribution". That's a statement connecting a function with a discrete domain to a function with a continuous domain. I don't know if people bother to formulate that type of approximation as a theorem about a limit of a sequence of functions, but I think if they wanted to, they could come up with something. There are so many possibilities for making up definitions!

This a nice example of the difference between math and engineering.

In engneering, any "real world" signal will be bandwith limited, and the statement in the book is true for bandwidth-limited signals.

But I agree that the book's "explanation" isn't much more than an arm-waving reason why that seems plausible.

1. What is a textbook error relating to uncountability?

A textbook error relating to uncountability is when a textbook or educational material presents information or examples that incorrectly classify a noun as uncountable when it is actually countable.

2. How common are textbook errors relating to uncountability?

Textbook errors relating to uncountability are relatively common, as they often stem from oversimplification or oversights during the editing process.

3. Why are textbook errors relating to uncountability problematic?

Textbook errors relating to uncountability can be problematic because they can lead to confusion and incorrect usage of nouns in language learning and academic writing. They can also perpetuate misconceptions about the rules of grammar.

4. What are some examples of textbook errors relating to uncountability?

An example of a textbook error relating to uncountability is when a book states that "furniture" is always uncountable, when in fact it can be used as a countable noun (e.g. "two pieces of furniture"). Another example is when a book claims that "advice" is always uncountable, when it can also be used as a countable noun (e.g. "I gave her some good advices").

5. How can textbook errors relating to uncountability be avoided?

To avoid textbook errors relating to uncountability, editors and authors should carefully review and fact-check information before publishing. It is also important to consult multiple sources and consult with language experts to ensure accuracy and avoid perpetuating misconceptions. Additionally, textbooks should provide clear and comprehensive explanations of countable and uncountable nouns to avoid confusion for learners.