1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Textbook reviews online somewhere?

1. Aug 28, 2015 #1

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is there some kind of online site where I can find reviews about college textbooks (preferably physics related) out there? I am considering to have my own collection of books in my field of research but I don't want to spend my savings on something I will find myself disappointed later.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2015 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

4. Aug 29, 2015 #3

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks, but I know this since long time. However sometimes the number of reviews for a given book is too small and sometimes no review at all.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Aug 29, 2015 #4
    Not really a particular place on school textbooks, unless your say an english major, then those books have been discussed by a lot of people. The best thing to do, is ask on this forum or look at university required books. There should be a list of reading material for a particular major.

Say you want to learn linear algebra (second course), then most schools will list Friedberg, Kenneth, or Axler.

6. Aug 29, 2015 #5
    I would recommended Feynmans Lectures on Physics, Kolenkow and Kleppner, and Purcell as a must have library. Not a physics major, but I own KK and Feynman, there really good stuff.

7. Aug 29, 2015 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Have you tried the forum search feature at the top right of this page? If you have a specific book in mind, enter the author's name and see if it's been discussed here before. If you enter something like "thermodynamics", you'll get many threads about thermodynamics books.

8. Aug 29, 2015 #7
    For mathematics there are also MAA Reviews.

9. Aug 29, 2015 #8

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks for the recommendation, but I am planing to have a collection of textbooks in my field of interest only. I currently have no intention in collecting basic physics textbooks. Besides I think there is a free online version of Feynman's lecture series.
    I'm afraid most of these books will be of specialized topics that it's difficult to find a member here who has had the interest on one of these books as well. I also have searched in this forum but return no result.
    After some search I ended up in this link http://textbooks-online-review.toptenreviews.com/. It appears that Amazon.com is the best place to find a book's review.

10. Aug 29, 2015 #9
    Kolenkow and Purcell are not basics by any means.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted