That old basic .bat virus how to erase it

• Thread starter stonecoldgen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Virus
In summary, the conversation is about a .bat virus that can be created in Notepad. The virus presents itself as the Internet Explorer icon and causes the computer to shut down when clicked on. To erase it, the user can right click on the IE icon and change the target path back to the original Internet Explorer location.
stonecoldgen
so you know that .bat virus that everyone knows how to make in notepad, a message pops up and your computer and then it shuts down

well, someone putted that in a computer with the internet explorer icon, someone wants to log into internet but ends up shutting down the computer

how do i erase it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Right click on the IE icon, select Properties, and in the Shortcut tab there is a field called Target which is the path the program that is launched and will probably be "C:\something.bat" if they changed it. Change it back to Internet Explorer, which is here (in XP):

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

1. What is a basic .bat virus?

A basic .bat virus is a type of malware that is written in the Batch Programming language. It is typically used to infect and harm computer systems by executing malicious commands.

2. How does a basic .bat virus infect a computer?

A basic .bat virus can infect a computer through various means, such as downloading infected files, opening infected email attachments, or clicking on malicious links. It can also spread through infected USB drives or network connections.

3. What are the symptoms of a basic .bat virus infection?

The symptoms of a basic .bat virus infection may vary, but some common signs include slow computer performance, frequent crashes, unusual error messages, and unexpected pop-ups or advertisements. It may also disable certain system functions or delete important files.

4. How can I remove a basic .bat virus from my computer?

The best way to remove a basic .bat virus is to use a reputable anti-virus software. You can also try running a full system scan and deleting any suspicious files or performing a system restore to a date before the virus was present. It is important to regularly back up your important files in case of a virus infection.

5. How can I protect my computer from a basic .bat virus?

To protect your computer from a basic .bat virus, make sure to keep your operating system and anti-virus software up to date. Avoid downloading files from unknown sources and be cautious when opening email attachments or clicking on links. It is also recommended to use a firewall and regularly back up your important files.