The angle grinder flange pair in UNF

• Thread starter abdulbadii
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Pair
In summary: A grinder uses radial loads, while a drill uses thrust loads. A thrust bearing will not work for a radial load, like a grinder experiences.
abdulbadii
TL;DR Summary
is there's a grinder flange pair with thread 3/8" x 24UNF ?
Does anyone happen to know if there's a grinder flange pair, i.e. its spacer and fastener flanges, with 3/8" x 24UNF thread instead of M10 x 1.5?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you have not found one yet, I think it is most unlikely.

Can you better describe exactly what you are trying to do?

24 TPI is a very fine thread for use on such a large flange nut, and it will almost certainly over-tighten in use and become locked solid. You will probably then break the locking mechanism while trying to undo the flange nut.
To remove a jammed abrasive disc from a grinder, heat the nut and disc with a flame. At about 150 °C, the polymer binder in the disc will collapse, so it can be undone easily.

Some adaptors are available for M14 and M10, to fit a 3-jaw chuck or an extender to an angle grinder. You might fabricate a similar adaptor for your application. Take care.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/394148756308
This one has a 3/8" UNF.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/374202960408

Baluncore said:
If you have not found one yet, I think it is most unlikely.

Can you better describe exactly what you are trying to do?

24 TPI is a very fine thread for use on such a large flange nut, and it will almost certainly over-tighten in use and become locked solid. You will probably then break the locking mechanism while trying to undo the flange nut.
To remove a jammed abrasive disc from a grinder, heat the nut and disc with a flame. At about 150 °C, the polymer binder in the disc will collapse, so it can be undone easily.

Some adaptors are available for M14 and M10, to fit a 3-jaw chuck or an extender to an angle grinder. You might fabricate a similar adaptor for your application. Take care.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/394148756308
This one has a 3/8" UNF.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/374202960408
Need arose in making one of most common drill (here is mine) with 3/8" 24UNF shaft connector to function as grinder being able to use every kind of disc: cutting, grinding, wire disc, mounted straight onto it

You could keep the drill chuck with the drill and use the spindle from the second link I gave, or from a similar product.

Maybe you could thread the spindle adaptor to be 9/16" UNF, to eliminate the 3-jaw chuck.

There is a reason for the shape and speed of a regular grinder.
A drill will produce very different results.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the purpose of the angle grinder flange pair in UNF?

The angle grinder flange pair in UNF is used to secure the grinding wheel onto the angle grinder. It acts as a support and ensures that the grinding wheel is held in place during use.

2. What does UNF stand for in relation to the angle grinder flange pair?

UNF stands for Unified National Fine, which is a standard thread size used in the United States for fasteners, including the flange pair on angle grinders.

3. Can the angle grinder flange pair in UNF be used with any grinding wheel?

No, it is important to use the correct flange pair for the specific grinding wheel being used. Using the wrong flange pair can result in the grinding wheel becoming loose and causing accidents.

4. How do I know if the angle grinder flange pair in UNF is compatible with my angle grinder?

You can check the user manual or the manufacturer's website for your angle grinder to see if it is compatible with UNF flange pairs. It is important to use the correct flange pair to ensure safe and proper use of the angle grinder.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using the angle grinder flange pair in UNF?

Yes, it is important to always wear protective gear, such as safety glasses and gloves, when using an angle grinder. Make sure to also follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and maintenance of the angle grinder and its flange pair.