Physics in a manual angle grinder machine

In summary: The gyroscopic effect should happen when you rotate the machine, but not when you move it in a straight line without rotating it. Turning it on should not have any effect on the speed or direction of the machine.
flyguille
First, I am not a physician (just a normal guy from Argentina), and I know the short answer for the following question is "it isgyroscopic effect". But why?... My original question was:

"I feel the effect when using "motor angle grinder", when turn off, you can move it any direction easy, when turn on, it is hard to move any direction, it is like it crates a force that act against left-right-up-down movement, but, iirc moving far-near from my body (called it z axis movement) don't feel that force opposing. And I don't understand why this happen, name it gyroscopic force, but... how the it interacts with external movements applied to the whole body of the machine?..., so then I started to thinking, about crazy things gravity and mass... Is the fast movement of mass disturbing gravity and that is the "gyroscopic effect"? if so, why don't create our own gravitational environment...out of a big machine with that effect. Or I am just too ignorant that don't understand about gyroscopic effect apart from it maintain the motorcycle straight up!."

What is more amazing there is an opposing force moving the machine down!. So it will fall slower if turn on?.

Why is this opposing force against movement of the whole machine?

Physics news on Phys.org
flyguille said:
First, I am not a physician (just a normal guy from Argentina), and I know the short answer for the following question is "it isgyroscopic effect". But why?... My original question was:

"I feel the effect when using "motor angle grinder", when turn off, you can move it any direction easy, when turn on, it is hard to move any direction, it is like it crates a force that act against left-right-up-down movement, but, iirc moving far-near from my body (called it z axis movement) don't feel that force opposing. And I don't understand why this happen, name it gyroscopic force, but... how the it interacts with external movements applied to the whole body of the machine?..., so then I started to thinking, about crazy things gravity and mass... Is the fast movement of mass disturbing gravity and that is the "gyroscopic effect"? if so, why don't create our own gravitational environment...out of a big machine with that effect. Or I am just too ignorant that don't understand about gyroscopic effect apart from it maintain the motorcycle straight up!."

What is more amazing there is an opposing force moving the machine down!. So it will fall slower if turn on?.

Why is this opposing force against movement of the whole machine?
I suggest that you try another experiment. Turn the machine on, hold it steady in your hand, and walk in a straight line. Do you feel any resistance then (except from the chord when it pulls you up short)?
The gyroscopic effect should happen when you turn the machine, but not when you move it in a straight line without turning.

ok, I will do a battery of tests, I remember it require more considerable force moving to facing the rotating grinder. So, if the rotating disk is horizontal, include I remember it require more force to move up or down, but maybe I am confuse, in a couple of hours I will do tests and posts results.

flyguille said:
ok, I will do a battery of tests, I remember it require more considerable force moving to facing the rotating grinder. So, if the rotating disk is horizontal, include I remember it require more force to move up or down, but maybe I am confuse, in a couple of hours I will do tests and posts results.
Let me rephrase something I said before, just to make sure we are understanding each other: The gyroscopic effect should happen when you rotate the machine, but not when you move it in a straight line without rotating it.

yes, I understood that phrase.

flyguille said:
. . . about gyroscopic effect apart from it maintain the motorcycle straight up!."
It does more than keep the motorcycle from falling over. Have you ever noticed how you steer when you ride a motorcycle or a bicycle? When you want to turn left, you don't grab the handle bars and turn the front wheel to the left. You would fall to the right if you did that. The way you turn left is to lean to the left. Then the front wheel turns toward the left, even if you are not touching the handle bars.

flyguille said:
So it will fall slower if turn on?.
It will not fall slower when it is turned on. You could test that by turning it on and dropping it and turning it off and dropping it and comparing the time. Although if it were my grinder I would not want to do the test.

tnich said:
It does more than keep the motorcycle from falling over.
Be careful to read this carefully. The resulting torque is not enough to resist falling. You would need an enormous flywheel to do that. The torque steers the wheel as the bike tilts and the direction of steer (luckily?) steers you into the curve and brings the bike upright.

ok, yes, the vibration of the grinder machine make it confusing to feel.

Looks like it don't oppese to linear movement, but to rotating on several axis, I imagine one axis is the grinder element itself, other is the motor-gears inside, so it has opposing forces to rotating in several axis.

And it is amazing, I know that the gyroscopic effect is done by the mass has angular cinetic momentun going to the original direction. right?, so if its wheel-axis want to apply a force to change that direction, the mass of the rotating element will oppose to it.

I know what exactly it is and I feels amazed, how the mass has relative spatial knowledge of where it want to go.!

flyguille said:
I know what exactly it is and I feels amazed, how the mass has relative spatial knowledge of where it want to go.!
I agree. It really does feel odd. There are many uTube videos available. Try this one Hopefully it can help with your understanding.

flyguille said:

Here is a good video that explains it via linear dynamics:

Likes Dale

1. How does a manual angle grinder machine work?

A manual angle grinder machine works by using a motor to rotate a disc at high speeds. This disc has a rough surface, typically made of abrasive material, that is used to grind or cut through materials such as metal, wood, or concrete.

2. What is the physics behind the grinding process in an angle grinder machine?

The grinding process in an angle grinder machine is based on the principles of friction and cutting. The abrasive disc rubs against the material, creating friction that wears away the surface and cuts through it. The rotation of the disc also creates a centrifugal force that helps to remove debris and cool the disc.

3. How does the disc size affect the performance of an angle grinder machine?

The size of the disc on an angle grinder machine can affect its performance in several ways. A larger disc will have a larger surface area, allowing for quicker and more efficient grinding. However, a smaller disc may be more suitable for precision work. The disc size also determines the maximum depth of cut that the machine can make.

4. What safety measures should be taken when using an angle grinder machine?

When using an angle grinder machine, it is important to wear proper protective gear, including safety glasses, a face shield, and gloves. The machine should also be securely fastened to a stable surface and the disc should be checked for any damage before use. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and never use the machine for tasks it was not designed for.

5. How can the speed of an angle grinder machine be adjusted?

The speed of an angle grinder machine can be adjusted by changing the voltage of the power source or by using a variable speed control feature, if available. It is important to note that changing the speed may affect the performance of the machine and should only be done within the recommended range by the manufacturer.