Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The closure of an open set A, strictly bigger than A itself?

1. Aug 11, 2013 #1
    Hi there!

Is the following true?

Suppose A is an open set and not closed. Cl(A) is closed and contains A, hence it contains at least one point not in A.

If A is both open and closed it obviously does not hold.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But TS said
    and the whole space is closed (because it's the complement of the empty set).

As you've worded it, your statement is true. Suppose that cl(A) is not strictly bigger. By definition, it is not smaller either (it's the smallest closed set that contains A), so it must be exactly A.

4. Aug 11, 2013 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I agree. I realized the mistake and deleted my post, before yours appeared.

5. Aug 12, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

They just won't let you pretend you didn't make a mistake!

(They do that to me all the time!)

6. Aug 13, 2013 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Luckily you hardly make any Halls :P

Sorry Stephen, sometimes I leave the tab open and reply a bit later without hitting refresh first.

7. Aug 15, 2013 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

adam512, there is an interesting concept related to your question, namely connectedness.

a space is connected if and only if the only sets that are both open and closed are the empty set and the whole space.

In other words, in a connected space, no "proper" open subset can be also closed.

Thus in a connected space, the closure of a non empty proper open subset A, will be strictly larger than A.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook