Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The double slit and wave particle nature.

1. Nov 20, 2011 #1
    I have recently learned about the double slit experiments using electrons and photons. This has completely blown my mind and I want to learn more. With this aim I have a question that I hope somebody on here can answer. For this question I want to consider the use of electrons in the double slit experiment. I will break my understanding down into the two different ways to view the nature of the particle before posing the question:

1)As a particle (An observer at the slit) - If the electron were to act as a particle then it could be assumed that when you shoot the electrons (one at a time) toward the double slit screen that they would have two different options: First, they could go through one of the two slits and hit the observation screen, or second, they could miss the slit, bouncing back toward the electron gun and never hit the screen.

2)As a wave of potentiality (No observer at the slit) - The potential wave will leave the electron gun and propagate toward the slit screen, not being collapsed by an observer, the electron, still acting as a wave of potentiality will travel through both slits, proceeding toward the observation screen as two individual waves of potential (forming areas of max and min probability from their interference). Now, once these waves reach the observation screen the wave function will collapse and "decide", according to the probabilities laid out by these interfering waves, where to manifest.

Ok, so my question is: Do any of the electrons miss the slits when there is no observer at the slit?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2011 #2
    I believe the answer is yes because the whole quantum mechanical model of today is a probabilistic view, and there are going to be electrons missing the slits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook