Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News The Ebola Situation : Are you prepared?

Tags:
  1. Aug 2, 2014 #1

Hepth

Gold Member

So right now the mobile CNN website has 5/6 "top stories" with Ebola in the headline. We have a horrible escalation and failure of ceasefire in Gaza, Russia is possibly assisting Ukranian "rebels" shoot down airliners, and the republican house just placed a rule to effectively halt any discussion or progess on the transportation bill. Also let's not forget the Australian double gag leaks, or any NSA topics.

But the headlines are all about two Americans who were flown back to the US with Ebola for treatment. I'm sort of ashamed of CNN, or at the very least its viewership. 5 out of six top articles is a lot. Or do you guys feel this is just a distraction tactic for the current state of affairs? I feel like everytime there's any real world news happening we find something "scary" to distract ourselves with. Anyone else notice this?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

CNN always goes with the most sensational story but they are hardly alone. If it takes some serious explanation/discussion then they would MUCH rather substitute wall to wall coverage of something simple ... things are blowing up !!! ... flesh eating disease !!!

I'm sure they have done market studies and found that's the best way to get/keep viewers. They are after all in business to make money. If you want serious news coverage, go with the BBC.

4. Aug 2, 2014 #3

mheslep

Gold Member

Please. I'm not sure somber tones from government sponsored media indicate any special lack of bias or corruption.

5. Aug 2, 2014 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, then stick with Fox News if you think that's more "fair and balanced" :smile:

6. Aug 2, 2014 #5

nsaspook

Science Advisor

They would have 'Breaking News" on juggling clowns if it made them money. News is a product designed to sell soap. Ebola sells soap.

7. Aug 2, 2014 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Certainly, for the two individuals and their families, it is a critical matter of their lives.

But the bigger story is the potential for a widespread outbreak.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/07/we-are-making-ebola-worse

8. Aug 3, 2014 #7

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Fox news sells right slanted news to the right just as the other outlets pander to their market niches.

So to get a balance one needs to watch Amy Goodman, Bill OReilly, Dianne Sawyer, PBS News Hour, both AlJazeera and RussiaToday networks, and Charlie Rose, not to mention Jon Stewart.

That's too much TV for me.

9. Aug 3, 2014 #8

mheslep

Gold Member

Newspapers? News n commentary journals?

10. Aug 3, 2014 #9
    As an economist I'd give you the following question:

Would a media company earn as well if they informed you that nothing interesting happened today and you should switch them off and try your luck tomorrow? If not then there is necessity to find even more shocking news every day.

11. Aug 3, 2014 #10
    Russia Today? Comparing with them Fox News can be proud of being objective and unbiased.

And about more serious media - what about The Economist? (suprisingly they have lot's of good journalism unrelated to economics)

12. Aug 3, 2014 #11

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not one i've ever read.

I do take "Foreign Affairs"
    http://www.cfr.org/
    http://www.foreignaffairs.com/
    but even it puts me to sleep. I'd never make it through an economics lournal, i'm afraid.

13. Aug 3, 2014 #12

Borg

Gold Member

With respect to the original post, I don't feel that the stories about the current Ebola outbreak are a distraction tactic by the media. If you review the list of Ebola outbreaks, it's clear that the current outbreak is by far the worst with no end in sight.

14. Aug 3, 2014 #13

mheslep

Gold Member

No, insect transmitted Malaria and the like of the airborne common cold virus have no end in sight. This Ebola outbreak is terrible but they are always temporary given the transmission vector of bodily fluids (if it is) among humans, a disease progression over a few days, and due diligence to stop contact. Will there future outbreaks? Surely.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  15. Aug 3, 2014 #14
    Fox presented us with Benghazi over kill (not a good choice of words) and CNN spend a month chasing a vanished airliner.

CNN just went one up on the sensationalism scale with the Ebola scare.

I quit watching when I realized that long after an event the two networks keep sensationalizing whatever they think their audience will watch.

Has either one of them covered the algae bloom and water contamination in Toledo Ohio? I really don't know I seldom watch either one.

Here is a local Fox affiliate using a CNN feed?

http://foxct.com/2014/08/03/400000-in-toledo-ohio-water-scare-await-test-results/

http://abcnews.go.com/US/caused-toledos-water-contamination/story?id=24825275

400,000 people without water in Ohio seems as newsworthy as it gets, yet it was on page four of my local newspaper.

16. Aug 3, 2014 #15

Borg

Gold Member

Yes I understand, most outbreaks last no more than six months or so. I meant that there's no current end in sight for this event. This event is likely to be of a longer duration because villagers have started chasing off the men in hazmat suits who take their relatives away, bring them back in body bags and don't allow them a proper burial according to their traditions.

As Ebola stalks West Africa, medics fight mistrust, hostility.

But, I'm getting too far off topic by discussing Ebola in this thread that isn't about Ebola. :rolleyes:

17. Oct 9, 2014 #16

Dembadon

Gold Member

I believe people perceive the Ebola outbreak to be a more immediate threat to themselves and/or friends and family.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook