The Escherian stairwell you explain it.

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an "Escherian stairwell," which is a vertical split screen that creates the illusion of a never-ending staircase. The use of this technique is explained in a Kickstarter project and a Peter Gabriel music video is mentioned as an example. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of navigating such a staircase and the potential challenges in filming it. A humorous anecdote about building a similar staircase in a home is also shared.
Physics news on Phys.org
This explains the use of verticle split screen:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen one that does not use trick photography, where you can see all around the loop of stairs.
I think it was in a Peter Gabriel music video ages ago but I can't seem to find it.
It used steps that were not horizontal and required the actor to be careful with where he put his feet since, on part of the loop, he has to look like he's going up when he's going down.
The camera probably has to be placed carefully too to get the perspective right.

BTW: welcome to PF aimanislam :)

camera trick or they just put a loop that's made to look like a staircase when you go through it

I built one of those in my house. I chickened out half-way up, but then couldn't get back down. Good thing I had my cell phone in my pocket. Unfortunately, the downwash from the hellofacopter that airlifted me out caused a tornado in the stairwell and blew my roof off. Sometimes you just can't win... :frown:

1. How does the Escherian stairwell work?

The Escherian stairwell is an optical illusion created by manipulating the laws of perspective. The stairs are built in a way that they appear to continuously loop upwards, but in reality, they are simply built at an incline with cleverly placed landings and turns.

2. Who created the Escherian stairwell?

The Escherian stairwell was created by Rochester Institute of Technology professor Andrew P. Hanson in the 1980s. He was inspired by the famous works of artist M.C. Escher, known for his mind-bending visual illusions.

3. Is it possible to build a functional version of the Escherian stairwell?

No, it is not possible to build a functional version of the Escherian stairwell in real life. The illusion can only be achieved through careful construction and the use of cleverly placed mirrors and lighting.

4. Can anyone understand the concept behind the Escherian stairwell?

The concept behind the Escherian stairwell is based on principles of perspective and optical illusions, which can be understood by anyone with a basic understanding of geometry and visual perception. However, the actual construction and execution of the illusion requires advanced knowledge and skill in architecture and design.

5. Are there any other examples of Escherian stairwells?

There are a few other examples of Escherian stairwells that have been built in various locations around the world, but they are all based on the original design by Andrew P. Hanson. However, there are countless other optical illusions and mind-bending designs inspired by M.C. Escher's work.