1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The fields of applied mathematics

1. Oct 21, 2012 #1
    What kind of mathematical disciplines/fields take part in what's called "applied mathematics"?

As far as I know, it's Differential Equations, Calculus, Statistics and Linear Algebra. What other fields are there? I'm sure there are some others.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2012 #2

Bacle2

Science Advisor

There are many others: graph theory and combinatorics--the traveling salesman problem, the postage-stamp problem, analysis and design of algorithms; number theory in cryptography, etc.

I'm not an applied mathematician, but AFAIK, many areas once thought to have a purely theoretical scope have found real-world applications.

4. Oct 21, 2012 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Where I studied, the above (and others, like Optimisation) took the umbrella title of Operations Research, and were described generically as non-physical applied.

5. Oct 21, 2012 #4

Bacle2

Science Advisor

I'm assuming that applied mathematics refers to the use of mathematics to (help) solve

general real-world problems; I think the cases I stated fall under this category, despite ,

maybe not having what one would call physical (maybe engineering, mostly) applications.

6. Oct 21, 2012 #5

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Haruspex, maybe the OP can explain better what s/he meant. Otherwise,

only option seems to be to make assumptions about what the actual question was.

Would you ex[and, OP?

7. Oct 26, 2012 #6
    By applied mathematics I mean mathematics which is very frequently used for the real world applications and sciences. Ex: Calculus, linear algebra, statistics, etc.

8. Oct 26, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That would normally be called "applicable mathematics". "Applied mathematics" refers to the actual application of mathematics. But there are very few forms of mathematics that don't get some application. "Number theory" is used in breaking codes and "group theory" is used in quantum mechanics, "differential goemetry" in relativity.

9. Oct 26, 2012 #8
    Halls of Ivy has, of course, brought up the oldest and longest application of mathematics - geometry.

These days there are many aspects of mathematics with geometry in the title, you are looking at one now that is used to show the pictures on your screen.

And where would you place trigonometry, complex analysis, orthogonal transformations, variational methods,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook