The force between two conductors (Duffin)

In summary, the person is struggling with understanding the force between two conductors as described in a section of the book "Electricity and Magnetism" by Duffin. They are questioning the equation for force and have come up with their own solution, which they believe is correct. They are requesting confirmation of their solution.
Smith987

Homework Statement

I have been reading electricity and magnetism by Duffin in order to understand my first year EM course. So far it has been straightforward- however, I've hit a wall when it derives the force between 2 conductors (p.117 section 5.7 if you have the book!). The book says:

Homework Equations

Force along x = - dU/dx with Q held constant, where U=electrical energy stored(I accept this)

Elementary increment dU= 0.5QdV (i accept)
=0.5 Q^2 * d(1/c) (I accept)
=-0.5 V^2 * dC.

This I do not accept, as in the first equality, it implies V is changing (dV) yet in the last equality V is constant? I'm also unsure as to where the minus sign cam from but I assume it was a misprint.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only answer I can come up with is that the equation was meant to be
dU= 0.5 d[ V^2 * C]. But if I use this for the example of a parallel plate capacitor I get a sign error.

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I solved the problem- when you consider dU as 0.5 *d(V^2 * C), this is equal to

0.5 * (V + dV)^2 * (C + dC) - 0.5*V^2 * C, which by using dv/dc= -Q/(C^2) leaads to the answer given. And pleasingly it gave me that annoying negative sign :)

I would still like a pat on the back though.

What is "The force between two conductors"?

"The force between two conductors" refers to the electrostatic force that exists between two charged conductors. This force is caused by the interaction of the electric fields surrounding the conductors.

What factors affect the force between two conductors?

The force between two conductors is affected by the amount of charge on each conductor and the distance between them. As the charge on the conductors increases, the force between them also increases. Similarly, as the distance between the conductors decreases, the force between them increases.

How is the force between two conductors calculated?

The force between two conductors can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges on the conductors and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the direction of the force between two conductors?

The force between two conductors is always attractive if the charges on the conductors are opposite, and repulsive if the charges are the same. This means that positive and negative charges will attract each other, while two positive or two negative charges will repel each other.

How does the shape of the conductors affect the force between them?

The shape of the conductors can affect the force between them by influencing the distribution of charge on the conductors. For example, if the conductors have sharp edges, the electric field at those points will be stronger, resulting in a stronger force between them.