1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The force between two conductors (Duffin)

1. Apr 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have been reading electricity and magnetism by Duffin in order to understand my first year EM course. So far it has been straightforward- however, I've hit a wall when it derives the force between 2 conductors (p.117 section 5.7 if you have the book!). The book says:

2. Relevant equations
    Force along x = - dU/dx with Q held constant, where U=electrical energy stored(I accept this)

Elementary increment dU= 0.5QdV (i accept)
    =0.5 Q^2 * d(1/c) (I accept)
    =-0.5 V^2 * dC.

This I do not accept, as in the first equality, it implies V is changing (dV) yet in the last equality V is constant? I'm also unsure as to where the minus sign cam from but I assume it was a misprint.

3. The attempt at a solution

The only answer I can come up with is that the equation was meant to be
    dU= 0.5 d[ V^2 * C]. But if I use this for the example of a parallel plate capacitor I get a sign error.

Please help!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2010 #2
    I think I solved the problem- when you consider dU as 0.5 *d(V^2 * C), this is equal to

0.5 * (V + dV)^2 * (C + dC) - 0.5*V^2 * C, which by using dv/dc= -Q/(C^2) leaads to the answer given. And pleasingly it gave me that annoying negative sign :)

I would still like a pat on the back though.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook