The Fundamental Theorems of Calculus

• Thread starter misskitty
  • Start date
mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
the prior version is what took me 40 years to appreciate and understand thoroughly, although of course i had to memorize something about absolute contuity as a grad student, which however I did not understand.

as proof of that, last year I started to tell my class the false theorem that a continuous function with derivative equal to f almost everywhere, must differ from the integral of an integrable f by a constant. fortunately we mathematicians have a 6th sense, called proof, or asking why?, that stops from such behavior, or at least causes us to corect it.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
devious_ said:
mathwonk, I've developed the habit of selecting everything I write in a post (ctrl+A) every few minutes if I'm writing a lengthy post, and copying it (ctrl+C). That way if the browser crashes or I'm forced to relogin to post I can simply paste with minimal losses.

Maybe you should consider picking up this habit too seeing as your long posts are always excellent. :smile:
I do the same thing. Best advice for anyone.:biggrin:

Galileo
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I suspected some conspiracy trying to keep us from reading mathwonk's wisdom, but mathwonk outsmarted them. :biggrin:

Thanks for the post.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It probabably happened because Mathwonk was "wrioting"!! We certainly can't have that!

Galileo
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Probabably so. :tongue2:

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
briefly put, if f is only integrable, then every integral of f is also an antiderivative, but not every (continuous) antiderivative of f is an integral of f.