The geometry of the expansion of space

In summary, The expansion of space, according to Hubble's law, is proportional to the distance between objects. This means that as the distance between objects increases, their velocity increases as well. However, the presence of mass can slow down this expansion by exerting a decelerating force on the objects. This can be understood using Newtonian mechanics, without the need for General Relativity.
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I've been trying to wrap my head around the geometry of the expansion of space, from Science Channel shows I vaguely understand the "every point in space is moving away from every other point in space" and iirc this was uniformly so. Is that correct? If not ignore the rest of this post I suppose because I assume it true for the following: suppose that at a given point in time three galaxies taken as points at their centers form a ##1 : 1 : \sqrt{2}## right triangle. What sort of triangle will these galaxies form later? Let the distance between any two points in space be increased by a length h due to the expansion of space at that time we again measure the triangle, then since each side of the triangle is just the distance between two points itself we will have a ## 1+h : 1+h : \sqrt{2}+h ## triangle, some simple algebra reveals that this is an isosceles triangle which is not a right triangle, so the expansion of space does not preserve right triangles? Not knowing even if I have a correct underlying definition, I will stop here and wait for confirmation. Please correct me if need be and feel free to illuminate any thing you think is in the vein of this post.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
benorin said:
I've been trying to wrap my head around the geometry of the expansion of space, from Science Channel shows I vaguely understand the "every point in space is moving away from every other point in space" and iirc this was uniformly so. Is that correct? If not ignore the rest of this post I suppose because I assume it true for the following: suppose that at a given point in time three galaxies taken as points at their centers form a ##1 : 1 : \sqrt{2}## right triangle. What sort of triangle will these galaxies form later? Let the distance between any two points in space be increased by a length h due to the expansion of space at that time we again measure the triangle, then since each side of the triangle is just the distance between two points itself we will have a ## 1+h : 1+h : \sqrt{2}+h ## triangle, some simple algebra reveals that this is an isosceles triangle which is not a right triangle, so the expansion of space does not preserve right triangles? Not knowing even if I have a correct underlying definition, I will stop here and wait for confirmation. Please correct me if need be and feel free to illuminate any thing you think is in the vein of this post.
Based on the Hubble's law, the recessional velocity of the objects due to the expansion of the universe is proportional to the distance between the objects. Let's label the vertices of the triangle A,B,C. That means, when distance between A and B is doubled during time T, the distance between A and C, and B and C is also doubled during the same time interval T. So the angles will be preserved, just the edges will be scaled. This must be truth becasuse none of the points in the universe is privileged.

Likes Bandersnatch and russ_watters
benorin said:
maybe I could also add, that expansion is observed on the scales where the concerned galaxies are not gravitationally bound, e.g located in different groups or clusters.
Also the reason why you got the different angles is because you incorrectly assumed that during time T, the distance between any two points is increased by constant length h, which cannot work if you think about it a little more.

How is it that gravity could slow this expansion of space? I've heard that the presence of mass warps spacetime but this sounds like bending it not contracting it's length. I've taken a standard undergrad three semester course of physics which had little bit of modern physics in it. But I don't really get that stuff quite yet, so please make your answer simple so I can understand. Thanks!

benorin said:
How is it that gravity could slow this expansion of space? I've heard that the presence of mass warps spacetime but this sounds like bending it not contracting it's length. I've taken a standard undergrad three semester course of physics which had little bit of modern physics in it. But I don't really get that stuff quite yet, so please make your answer simple so I can understand. Thanks!
Length contraction has nothing to do with gravity. But you don't need GR to understand this. Expansion is just like Newtonian motion of objects flying away from each and every observer, with some initial velocity proportional to distance from the observer. Enclosed in a sphere of radius equal to that distance is some mass, which decelerates the motion.

Likes Tamar and lomidrevo

What is the geometry of the expansion of space?

The geometry of the expansion of space is the shape and structure of the universe as it continues to grow and expand. It is a fundamental concept in cosmology, the study of the origin and evolution of the universe.

How is the geometry of the expansion of space related to the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory, which describes the beginning of the universe, is closely linked to the geometry of the expansion of space. According to the theory, the universe began as a single point and has been expanding and cooling ever since, resulting in the current geometry of space.

What are the different types of geometry that can describe the expansion of space?

There are three main types of geometry that can describe the expansion of space: Euclidean, hyperbolic, and elliptical. Euclidean geometry is flat and describes a universe with zero curvature. Hyperbolic geometry is negatively curved and describes a universe that is expanding at an accelerating rate. Elliptical geometry is positively curved and describes a universe that is expanding at a decelerating rate.

How do scientists measure the expansion of space?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the expansion of space, including observations of cosmic microwave background radiation, the redshift of light from distant galaxies, and the rate of expansion of the universe over time. These measurements can provide insight into the geometry of the expansion of space and the overall structure of the universe.

What is the significance of understanding the geometry of the expansion of space?

Understanding the geometry of the expansion of space is crucial for our understanding of the universe and its evolution. It can help us determine the fate of the universe, the distribution of matter and energy within it, and the possible existence of other universes beyond our own. It also allows us to test and refine our theories about the origin and evolution of the universe.