The god helmet effects on the brain Vs. it happening without wearing one.

In summary: I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'"In summary, the conversation discusses the "god helmet" and its effects on the brain, as well as the question of whether these effects are a product of the brain or something external. There is also mention of individuals experiencing similar effects without wearing the helmet, leading to the belief that it is produced by the individual themselves. The uniqueness and unpredictability of these experiences is discussed, along with the belief that they are triggered by specific thoughts or circumstances.
Ntstanch
The "god helmet" effects on the brain Vs. it happening without wearing one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helmet - It obviously has an impact on the brain, some more unique or intense than others.

What I'm curious about is if the phenomenon is a product of the brain or something external? The helmet uses a weak but complex field and the results seem to be pretty random, and not something you can consistently reproduce.

My best guess is that it's produced by the individual on account of people (the sane and relatively credible ones) who seem to experience effects similar to the helmets, while not wearing it, experience them during times of stress or while actively trying to obtain the effect (meditation, deep concentration or usage of drugs... or mixtures), and the experience reported is relative to their situation. Like a religious person in extreme mental distress suddenly experiencing "god" while praying, and with that comfort. Or Tesla having some seemingly unnatural vision of a schematic, which was obviously relative to his work in general. You don't really read things like, "Homeless man has crystal clear vision of (insert scientific breakthrough)". :tongue2:

Though on the other end of the argument is the question of what else could cause something like what the helmet tries to recreate if not the brain itself? If it's some external force then it seems like it would have to be created by something intelligent which could create a field specific enough to your brains unique state and also your condition. By condition I mean some deep life changing epiphany relative to you and whatever is important to you in it at the time. Things like a spiritual experience during extreme depression giving someone renewed faith, scientific breakthroughs that are extraordinarily specific (like the Tesla example) or something which seems very vague to the individual at the time, but is so intense that it leaves a definitive impression on the person and becomes the cornerstone to a future invention or life improvement of some sort.

Personally, I lean toward it being a product of the first example as it makes the most sense (in my opinion). Though what is most interesting to me is how these occurrences just seem to happen at more or less perfect times. Like Tesla walking casually, probably thinking about magnetism and charge and all that, then suddenly his head "explodes" with such clear information and then goes back to normal. As though the right settings, mind set and thinking act as a key that unlocks an explosion of information and new perspective/understanding. But once it's run its course you can't just go back and recreate the experience like you could a normal thought.

The uniqueness of it is baffling to me. It sort of seems like the Archimedes "Eureka!" type moment, except instead of a bathtub over flowing (something external) triggering it, it's something specifically in the mind. And in both cases the "eureka" state is relative to the person and something they're very preoccupied with.

Physics news on Phys.org

Ntstanch said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helmet - It obviously has an impact on the brain, some more unique or intense than others.

What I'm curious about is if the phenomenon is a product of the brain or something external? The helmet uses a weak but complex field and the results seem to be pretty random, and not something you can consistently reproduce.

My best guess is that it's produced by the individual on account of people (the sane and relatively credible ones) who seem to experience effects similar to the helmets, while not wearing it, experience them during times of stress or while actively trying to obtain the effect (meditation, deep concentration or usage of drugs... or mixtures), and the experience reported is relative to their situation. Like a religious person in extreme mental distress suddenly experiencing "god" while praying, and with that comfort. Or Tesla having some seemingly unnatural vision of a schematic, which was obviously relative to his work in general. You don't really read things like, "Homeless man has crystal clear vision of (insert scientific breakthrough)". :tongue2:

Though on the other end of the argument is the question of what else could cause something like what the helmet tries to recreate if not the brain itself? If it's some external force then it seems like it would have to be created by something intelligent which could create a field specific enough to your brains unique state and also your condition. By condition I mean some deep life changing epiphany relative to you and whatever is important to you in it at the time. Things like a spiritual experience during extreme depression giving someone renewed faith, scientific breakthroughs that are extraordinarily specific (like the Tesla example) or something which seems very vague to the individual at the time, but is so intense that it leaves a definitive impression on the person and becomes the cornerstone to a future invention or life improvement of some sort.

Personally, I lean toward it being a product of the first example as it makes the most sense (in my opinion). Though what is most interesting to me is how these occurrences just seem to happen at more or less perfect times. Like Tesla walking casually, probably thinking about magnetism and charge and all that, then suddenly his head "explodes" with such clear information and then goes back to normal. As though the right settings, mind set and thinking act as a key that unlocks an explosion of information and new perspective/understanding. But once it's run its course you can't just go back and recreate the experience like you could a normal thought.

The uniqueness of it is baffling to me. It sort of seems like the Archimedes "Eureka!" type moment, except instead of a bathtub over flowing (something external) triggering it, it's something specifically in the mind. And in both cases the "eureka" state is relative to the person and something they're very preoccupied with.

In responding to your post, I can hardly do better than to quote Buffy the Vampire Slayer:

"I think I speak for everyone here when I say: HuuuH?"

Okay... I'll try and make it simpler/less confusing.

Things like experiencing "visions" of god, or electromagnetic fields or whatever... not a normal phenomenon in the brain. This helmet, that looks fairly ridiculous, has solenoids in it producing "weak but complex" (1 Microtesla) magnetic fields. The charge and behavior of the coils switch from left to right, dicking with peoples brains. In rare cases, they get the "experiencing god" result. Recreating the abnormal phenomenon in the brain using an external device.

My question is, people aren't wearing the helmet when they have these experiences. So how does this go about happening in the brain without a goofy looking helmet on and a computer messing with the charges behavior?

Last edited:

Ntstanch said:
Okay... I'll try and make it simpler/less confusing.

Things like experiencing "visions" of god, or electromagnetic fields or whatever... not a normal phenomenon in the brain. This helmet, that looks fairly ridiculous, has solenoids in it producing "weak but complex" (1 Microtesla) magnetic fields. The charge and behavior of the coils switch from left to right, dicking with peoples brains. In rare cases, they get the "experiencing god" result. Recreating the abnormal phenomenon in the brain using an external device.

My question is, people aren't wearing the helmet when they have these experiences. So how does this go about happening in the brain without a goofy looking helmet on and a computer messing with the charges behavior?
Their brain is misfiring, the "helmet" just simulates the misfiring. We've had threads on this before.

Evo said:
Their brain is misfiring, the "helmet" just simulates the misfiring. We've had threads on this before.

What would I type into the search to find these threads? I've tried Koren helmet and a few others, but the search pretty much brings up things related to helmets and not dying.

The threads have been closed.

Here, these 2 parts explain the "god" presense due to temporal lobe seizures. This is what Persinger tried to recreate with the helmet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIiIsDIkDtg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z4B5BYbjf8&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z4B5BYbjf8&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you.

Also, could you just remove this thread or lock it? This topic is just a fun curiosity for me. Further discussion concerning the helmet doesn't seem appropriate or useful for what I am actually curious about... which I poorly and sloppily illustrated in the OP. Those two links were insightful, but seeing as how the helmet was meant for people with mental illness and psychological trauma the whole thing seems irrelevant.

What is "The God Helmet" and how does it affect the brain?

"The God Helmet" is a device designed to stimulate the brain using weak electromagnetic fields. It is believed that this stimulation can induce spiritual or religious experiences in the wearer. However, the scientific evidence for this is inconclusive and further research is needed to fully understand its effects on the brain.

Can the same effects of "The God Helmet" occur without actually wearing one?

There have been reports of people experiencing spiritual or religious experiences without wearing "The God Helmet." These experiences can occur spontaneously or through various forms of meditation or prayer. However, it is difficult to determine if these experiences are solely due to brain activity or if there are other external factors at play.

How does "The God Helmet" differ from other brain stimulation techniques?

"The God Helmet" uses weak electromagnetic fields to stimulate the brain, while other techniques, such as transcranial magnetic stimulation, use stronger magnetic fields. Additionally, "The God Helmet" specifically targets certain areas of the brain that are associated with spiritual experiences, while other techniques may target different areas for different purposes.

What are the potential risks of using "The God Helmet"?

There is currently no evidence of any serious risks associated with using "The God Helmet." However, as with any brain stimulation technique, there may be some potential side effects such as headaches, dizziness, or changes in mood. It is important to use "The God Helmet" under the guidance of a trained professional.

Can "The God Helmet" be used for therapeutic purposes?

Some studies have suggested that "The God Helmet" may have potential therapeutic benefits for conditions such as depression, anxiety, and addiction. However, more research is needed to fully understand its potential in this area and it should not be used as a replacement for traditional therapies.