Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Godfather Trilogy

1. The Original

40.7%
  2. The Godfather Part II

22.2%
  3. The Godfather Part III

7.4%
  4. They're all amazing!

11.1%
  5. I hate them all!

18.5%
  1. Apr 21, 2006 #1

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In your opinion, which is the best of the three Godfather films? I've just finnished watching them now and was wondering what everyone thought? In my opinion the first one is the best, the second tried to cover too much I thought.

~H

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I read the book first, but the first movie was good, the book was better.

4. Apr 21, 2006 #3

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've not read the book yet, I think I'll try and get hold of a copy.

~H

5. Apr 21, 2006 #4
    I think the third one was the best movie. the story had a lot of different "layers" and i especially like the complots in/with the Vatican. I think they should have elaborated on that. Al Pacino's final cry out when his daughter gets shot is just...well...astonishing.

Ofcourse, the first movie really rests onto the interpretation of Marlon Brando (although i do not think this role was his best work). They should have given him more scenes.

marlon

6. Apr 21, 2006 #5
    second part.

7. Apr 21, 2006 #6

JamesU

Gold Member

I voted 'they're all amazing", but the 2nd one was the best, and the 3rd one wasn't nearly as good as 1&2

8. Apr 22, 2006 #7

Lisa!

Gold Member

I love Al Pacino because of part II!

9. Apr 22, 2006 #8

JamesU

Gold Member

hmm...it seems that JasonRox hates them all....let's go Jason hunting

10. Apr 22, 2006 #9
    I never seen them.But form what I heard what there about they don't sound too good.

11. Apr 22, 2006 #10
    All of them are excellent movies, but if I were to choose a favorite it would be the original.

12. Jul 9, 2008 #11
    Yeahh i would agree. The second one drags on for too long although its still good. I think it depends what you enjoy about the films..if you like action then the first one would be the best. If you enjoy watching the business side of things then the second and thirs films are better. In my opinion i think the first one is the best because it shows you the rise and rise of Michael Corleone and theres abit of everything in there to make it not just the best out of the trilogy but also one of the best films ever made.

AnthonyF

13. Jul 9, 2008 #12
    I will begin by saying all three are vastly overrated, especially the last two. The movies are average at best, and are too slow to develop. Having said that, I enjoyed the first one a lot more than the other two. It had a very gangster feel to it, and the whole Sicilian family thing played out well. The second one was very boring throughout, the plot was very artificial and overly dramatic. I didn't like the whole history lesson on Vito. It made it clear the original story had no substance so they needed filler. The only good part was the ending, not only because it was shockingly surprising, but because it put me out of my misery. The third one was the worse, mainly because the actors weren't as good as in the first two.

Goodfellas is better than all three combined.

14. Jul 10, 2008 #13

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I hate them all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?