1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nigerian Mathematicians your opinion

1. Apr 21, 2012 #1
    i got an infraction for posting misinformation, and i apologize for that, i didn't mean to, i was just repeating what i heard from people

what is your opinion.. i was told that nigerias are the best mathematicians in the world.. that is what i was told, not my opinion.. but i just want to get your opinion on this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2012 #2
    who told you that?

4. Apr 21, 2012 #3
    my friend did... he said that nigeria was the top in the world when it came to the best and brightest mathematicians

5. Apr 21, 2012 #4
    i'm afraid your friend was addressing an irrelevant issue.

6. Apr 21, 2012 #5
    he said something like all the top mathematicians alive today are mostly nigerian.. and stuff..

7. Apr 21, 2012 #6
    What stuff?

8. Apr 21, 2012 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

While I'm sure there are bright Nigerian mathematicians out there, the assertion is false. There are no more bright Nigerian mathematicians than mathematicians of another country. And I see no reason why Nigerian mathematicians should be the best.

In fact, I know not a single Nigerian mathematician (that doesn't mean they don't exist though).

I think it's safe to say your friend duped you.

Thread is locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook