The Great Melting Day in Oslo - Spring is Here!

  • Thread starter Thread starter arildno
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Melting
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
38 replies · 5K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
10,165
Reaction score
138
Today is the great melting day in Oslo.
The icicles from the roofs are finally yielding, and there is a constant dribbling down the walls, with the occasional, hazardous crash when a bigger piece of ice breaks off and smashes into the pavement.

It is our first sign of approaching springtime. :smile:
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As someone who has suffered from SAD for the last 20 years the end of winter is more than just a return to warm hot days. It's not haveing Asthma any more, not oversleeping and being late for work, not having to take antidepressants and their resultant side effects not feeling anxious for no reason, not being bad tempered and iritable, and not being walked around by people like there standing on eggshells. To name just a few things. Halelujah! Spring is coming!:biggrin:
 
Not to mention the return of light clothes, and sexy bodies hardly covered by them..:smile:
 
That is your just reward for having stolen our Olympics medals.
 
Just you wait. Bjørn Dæhlie ain't dead yet.
 
To be dead honest I don't follow the winter olympics so I have no clue who björn is :)
 
It's Bjørn, not Björn.
 
My first spring flower, a very early yellow crocus, bloomed today! Yes there is hope..better weather, right around the corner!
 
arildno said:
It's Bjørn, not Björn.

:smile: bah you norweigan heathens should learn to speak and write proper swedish :biggrin:
 
Swedish is not a proper language. It is an aberration.
 
arildno said:
Today is the great melting day in Oslo.
The icicles from the roofs are finally yielding, and there is a constant dribbling down the walls, with the occasional, hazardous crash when a bigger piece of ice breaks off and smashes into the pavement.
I haven't seen icicles in years. But I spent my life up to the age of thirty in icicle country: New Hampshire, Ohio, Minnesota. So, I know what you mean. The exitement of noticing them all start to drip, and then seeing gaps on the roofs where some have given way and dropped off, is fantastic.

Somebody circumvented all that for me, though, by arranging a trip here to San Diego in the middle of winter. It was unseasonably warm here, and when I stepped out of the airport to 80 degree weather in the middle of January, I was hooked deeply. Had to get back here to live.

Now, 20 years later, I don't naturally think about icicles, or snow shoveling unless someone else brings it up.
 
you keep messing me up with that new avatar zoob, i keep forgetting it was you. i was about to be like "Did someone say new hampshire??" but yeah, I've known you lived there. here in mass we haven't really had snow for a while now. i think it snowed a tad over the weekend, but we've been looking at the dead grass for a while now. spring is sooo ugly until stuff starts to bloom.
 
arildno said:
Today is the great melting day in Oslo.
The icicles from the roofs are finally yielding, and there is a constant dribbling down the walls, with the occasional, hazardous crash when a bigger piece of ice breaks off and smashes into the pavement.

It is our first sign of approaching springtime. :smile:
Congratulations! We have had a rather warm winter so far (central Maine) and a few days ago the temperature got up the mid-40's so I broke out the Harley and rode to my old stomping grounds to visit my father. He was not too suprised to see me - last year, I rode up when the temperature was in the mid-30's and it was snowing lightly when I got to his house. I didn't mind that, but I got caught in a pretty cold rain when I got back to lower elevations.
 
arildno said:
Swedish is not a proper language. It is an aberration.

you got it confused with danish now that is a uggly language:smile: :smile:
 
Azael said:
you got it confused with danish now that is a uggly language:smile: :smile:
Danish is, as everybody knows, not a language, but a throat disease.

But, really: "ehuru", and even worse, "ehuruvida"?
Swedes should be ashamed of themselves.
 
arildno said:
Danish is, as everyone knows, not a language, but a throat disease.

But, really: "ehuru", and even worse, "ehuruvida"?
Swedes should be ashamed of themselves.

what ancient book did you dust of to find those words:bugeye: had to look them up :-p
 
They are used all the time in Swedish.
Besides, that's not all!

"Trädgård"-garden. The dumb Swedes use this for a garden even if it hasn't got any trees (Träd) in it (It means "tree-garden").
 
well ehuru is not used in comon day swedish that is for sure!

hmm what word do norweigans have for trädgård?? The upside with norweigan is that you guys sound so damn happy all the time.
But we all know who's the boss in scandinavia:biggrin: We swedes got mountains like norway, woods like finland and flatland like denmark. Not to mention better looking chicks than finland, norway and denmark combined.
 
Azael said:
hmm what word do norweigans have for trädgård??
Hage, of course.
We swedes got mountains like norway
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Yeah sure, Kullekulla or something dumbsilly like that for a mere mole-hill.
Besides, most of your actual mountains lie in Jämtland&Herjedalen, regions you stole from us.
[tex]woods like finland[/tex]
I've seen them, don't match Norwegian woods.

and flatland like denmark.
You're welcome to it.
 
arildno said:
Hage, of course.

:smile: :smile: :smile:
Yeah sure, Kullekulla or something dumbsilly like that for a mere mole-hill.
Besides, most of your actual mountains lie in Jämtland&Herjedalen, regions you stole from us.
[tex]woods like finland[/tex]
I've seen them, don't match Norwegian woods.


You're welcome to it.

Hage now that is barbarian. A hage is where you let your cows feed.:bugeye:

Ahh the mountains in jämtland and härjedalen is nothing compared to the mountains in lappland! Akka, kebnekaise, sarek nationalpark, now that is mountains!
Btw we didnt steal jämtland from you, we where merely gracefull and let you guys have a nation of your own to play around in:biggrin:

Norweigan woods:confused: you must have them hidden in the fjords somewhere:smile:

With that said norways is my second favorite nation. I love northern norway and I hope I can take time to hike up there sometime.
 
Gale said:
you keep messing me up with that new avatar zoob, i keep forgetting it was you. i was about to be like "Did someone say new hampshire??" but yeah, I've known you lived there.
That's Lt. Columbo, L.A.P.D. Sometimes I identify with his rumpled, disheveled qualities. I won't keep that one long.
here in mass we haven't really had snow for a while now. i think it snowed a tad over the weekend, but we've been looking at the dead grass for a while now. spring is sooo ugly until stuff starts to bloom.
That kind of spring is, yeah. When the transition from snow to new grass is fast, spring is glorious and exiting, and thing just keep getting better till it's full blown summer.
 
whilst you guys are enjoying the start of spring, i would like to let you know that us brits have been enjoying strong winds and snow storms for most of today and yesterday. I'm seriously considering moving somewhere sunny like the maldives
 
It blows too hard over there?
I'm sorry for you.
 
its not the wind i mind so much, I'm used to a bit of blowing. its the damned snow i can't stand its no fun when it is snowing, its even less fun once its settled, and as for the ice and slush it turns into well where do i start.
 
yipee we now have blue skys and sunshine, our weather is so b***dy un-predictable.
 
Thats what I love about us Brits- We have possibly the mildest weather of any nation, and yet we complain about it more than any other. Gotta appreciate the irony :biggrin: