1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Growing industries of the future .

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1
    The Growing industries of the future.....

In 10-15 years, what are some technologies or fields that should be booming? I want to enter an engineering career that will be the most lucrative in the future (I also love all of them)...

btw, electrical engineering or chemical engineering?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2009 #2
    Re: The Growing industries of the future.....

Like, are all of the profitable, growing fields going to be in the technology sector?

4. Mar 3, 2009 #3

warp drive engineering hopefully, yup I'm investing all my money on Zephram Cochrane

5. Mar 3, 2009 #4

or finance if that is profitable....

6. Mar 3, 2009 #5

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think the issue at hand is that it's very difficult to tell what the future is going to hold. You're asking 10-15 years down the road. Things could be very different even 5 years down the road - about the time you finish your degree. That's one of the reasons it's important to choose your path of study and career based on what you enjoy doing rather than simply projected earning potential and job security. 15 years ago a job with General Motors or Chrysler meant security for life.

7. Mar 4, 2009 #6

I'd say energy conversion. We need more useful and less detrimental sources of energy. Progress in any field depends on energy. But that's just my $.02...

8. Mar 4, 2009 #7

What can you do if you want to work on the business side of EE? Dont they get paid more?

9. Mar 4, 2009 #8

Nuclear/Petroleum/Aerospace due to rising interest in their specialties.

It's hard to really say EE or ME since they're so versatile and they're always going to be needed for nearly every aspect of all industries.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook