1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The hamiltonian of a half spin particle

1. May 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The Hamiltonian for a spin-half particle is

H = 2a/ħ (Sx + Sy)

where a is a positive constant and Sx , Sy are the x and y components of the spin. Initially (at time t=0) the particle is in the state

|ψ> = (1/√2) (|↑>+|↓>)

where up and down arrows denote eigenstates of the z component of the spin.

a) Calculate the expectation value of the energy <E> and of the three components of the spin <Sx>, <Sy> and <Sz> at t=0.
    b) What is the probability that a measurement of the x component of the spin at t=0 will give the value +ħ/2 ?
    c) Find the eigenstates and eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian.
    d) Find the state |ψ(t)> at a later time t.
    e) What is the probability that a measurement of the x component of the spin at time t will give the value +ħ/2 ?

This is a practice exam question that I'm using to prepare for my final. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's tough being the only Mechanical Engineer in a group full of physics majors. Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2009 #2
    What's your first step? Any relevant equations?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook