The Higgs Mass and the Many worlds interpretation

In summary: BillIn summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the Many worlds interpretation and the observed mass of the Higgs boson in particle physics. While there is no refutation of standard Quantum Mechanics from the Higgs mass, the multiverse interpretation predicts a higher Higgs mass than the Many worlds interpretation. The conversation also mentions a documentary called Particle fever which may provide more insight on the topic. Overall, the conversation does not provide a conclusive answer to whether the Many worlds interpretation is incorrect based on the Higgs mass.
juzzy
I have a question about the Many worlds interpretation. Does the observed mass of the Higgs boson suggest that the many worlds interpretation is incorrect, as the mass falls smack in the middle of the predicted values of both supersymmetry and multiverse interpretations of the standard model of particle physics. I'm in no way surprised that reality threw this swerveball but am I misunderstanding the point here? Am I confusing multiverse with many-worlds?

Physics news on Phys.org
The predictions of the many-world's (also known as many universe's) interpretation is equivalent to standard Quantum Mechanics. I haven't seen any refutation of QM from the Higgs mass.

juzzy said:
I have a question about the Many worlds interpretation. Does the observed mass of the Higgs boson suggest that the many worlds interpretation is incorrect,

No.

There is no way to tell the difference between standard QM using just the formalism and MW. MW, like most interpretations, has deliberately been cooked up to be like that.

Thanks
Bill

StevieTNZ said:
The predictions of the many-world's (also known as many universe's) interpretation is equivalent to standard Quantum Mechanics. I haven't seen any refutation of QM from the Higgs mass.

No I haven't heard anything seriously refuting it either, however, the multiverse interpretation in particle physics (which I was assuming is just the same thing as Many-worlds in QM) predicts a Higgs Mass of 140 GeV. The Supersymmetry interpretation predicts 115 GeV. The observed value was 125 GeV.

I am just scratching my head now as are most proffessors I would imagine.

juzzy said:
however, the multiverse interpretation in particle physics (which I was assuming is just the same thing as Many-worlds in QM) predicts a Higgs Mass of 140 GeV. The Supersymmetry interpretation predicts 115 GeV. The observed value was 125 GeV.

They are different ie the Multiverse theory is different to MW. First I have heard of those different predictions.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
They are different ie the Multiverse theory is different to MW. First I have heard of those different predictions.

Thanks
Bill

I was trying to remember where I heard it. It was a documentary which was about the Higgs discovery, I think it was called Particle fever. Good movie, gives a lot of insight. It may well be that I misunderstood or misheard. I should watch it again. I do recommend it though.

juzzy said:
I was trying to remember where I heard it. It was a documentary which was about the Higgs discovery, I think it was called Particle fever. Good movie, gives a lot of insight. It may well be that I misunderstood or misheard. I should watch it again. I do recommend it though.

My question was about many-worlds, though as you say Bill, they are not quite the same thing, so I guess it's not relevant.

Thanks

1. What is the Higgs mass and why is it important in physics?

The Higgs mass is a fundamental property of the Higgs boson, a subatomic particle that is believed to give particles their mass. This idea is part of the Standard Model of particle physics, which is a theory that describes the fundamental building blocks of the universe. The Higgs mass is important because it helps explain why some particles have mass while others do not, and it is also a key component in understanding the origin of the universe.

2. How was the Higgs mass discovered?

The Higgs boson was first theorized in the 1960s, but it wasn't until 2012 that scientists at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in Geneva, Switzerland announced they had discovered it. This discovery was made by analyzing the data from particle collisions at the LHC and observing the decay of the Higgs boson into other particles. By measuring the energy and momentum of these particles, scientists were able to calculate the mass of the Higgs boson.

3. What is the Many worlds interpretation and how does it relate to the Higgs mass?

The Many worlds interpretation is a theory in quantum mechanics that suggests that every possible outcome of a quantum event actually occurs in a separate parallel universe. This means that the universe we observe is just one of many parallel universes that exist. Some scientists have proposed that the Higgs mass could be influenced by interactions with other parallel universes, which would help explain the observed value of the Higgs mass.

4. What evidence supports the Many worlds interpretation?

There is currently no direct evidence to support the Many worlds interpretation. However, some scientists argue that it is a more elegant and simpler explanation for certain phenomena in quantum mechanics, such as the double-slit experiment. Additionally, the Many worlds interpretation has been used to make predictions about the behavior of particles that have been confirmed by experiments.

5. How does the Higgs mass impact our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of the Higgs boson and its mass has had a significant impact on our understanding of the universe. It has provided evidence for the existence of the Higgs field, which is believed to give particles their mass. This helps us better understand the fundamental forces and particles that make up the universe. Additionally, the Higgs mass is a key ingredient in theories about the origin of the universe, and its precise value has implications for the fate of the universe.