The I wouldn't eat that on a bet thread.

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary: I wouldn't eat that on a bet.In summary, Steve's food pantry includes "pickled pork rinds, diseased sweetcorn, fermented soy beans.. I feel ill." and "chewing on your grandmother's thigh" among other things.

turbo

Gold Member
The "I wouldn't eat that on a bet" thread.

Inspired by Evo's recent purchase of a "food" product made with a lot of water and that may or may not actually contain ham, and her adventures with "jerky" made from a meat paste seasoned with pre-packaged spices (and God knows what else), I am starting this thread for the discussion of things that can be eaten, but that are somewhat removed from what any good cook would call food. C'mon, fess up! What's in your pantry that would most likely qualify for the euphemistic phrase "food product" but that you wouldn't let your grandmother know you've been eating for fear of derision?

Physics news on Phys.org
:redface: "Lite" vienna sausage, made with "mechanically separated chicken".

Actually, after recently finding some packaged "food products" in my kitchen that expired in 2003, I am planning an archeological expedition into the dark recesses of my food pantry. With t_e tethered to me via my cell phone and headset, I will be digging through my pantry and describing to him what I find and we're going to try to guess how many years ago I bought it and why. I told him this event really needs to be filmed, but my video camera is broken. :frown:

He thought last weeks expedition was scary enough, but that was just a cupboard. I actually *did* cook some of the stuff and I'm still alive. He told me just to boil it for a really long time.

Last edited:
You better take a shotgun and a bullet-proof vest with you, Evo. The old food substances might have created some chemical reaction with air and moisture, and they might be...alive. :tongue:

:rofl: In a somewhat sickening way, that's one of the funniest things that I've read in a long time. Steve certainly has a way with words.

Danger said:
:rofl: In a somewhat sickening way, that's one of the funniest things that I've read in a long time. Steve certainly has a way with words.
"Chewing on your grandmother's thigh" INDEED. :yuck: :rofl:

Hahaha, Urkel-Os. :rofl: What a desperate attempt to sell cereal.

By the time I was at the Cuitlacoche, I had enough. I was feeling sick.

Evo said:
He thought last weeks expedition was scary enough, but that was just a cupboard. I actually *did* cook some of the stuff and I'm still alive. He told me just to boil it for a really long time.
If something is contaminated with botulinum toxin, boiling will destroy the toxin, though the spores can survive boiling, and if you ingest them...well.

Evo said:
... made with "mechanically separated chicken".

How do they do that? I've got a few mental images of the machine. :

dlgoff said:
I don't want to know. But if they have to state it on a label, it can't be good. :frown:

Although my canned tuna fish says "WARNING - May contain fish". It's an allergy warning. It's canned fish, we have to warn people that a can of fish might have <GASP> fish in it? :bugeye:

What's next? A carton of eggs warning that there might be eggs inside? :rolleyes: Is this unique to the US because of all of the frivolous lawsuits?

Probably. Now that I have cable, I can't get over your US drug commercials with all of the warnings that essentially mean that you'll die if you take them. One of the dumbest is for a sleeping pill. Among the side-effects is 'possible drowsiness'. :rolleyes:

Evo said:
I don't want to know. But if they have to state it on a label, it can't be good. :frown:

Although my canned tuna fish says "WARNING - May contain fish". It's an allergy warning. It's canned fish, we have to warn people that a can of fish might have <GASP> fish in it? :bugeye:

What's next? A carton of eggs warning that there might be eggs inside? :rolleyes: Is this unique to the US because of all of the frivolous lawsuits?

Oh man! You have to post a picture of that!

Evo said:
What's next? A carton of eggs warning that there might be eggs inside? :rolleyes:

Just ruins the thrill of the suspense. :frown:

dlgoff said:

High pressure water jets, I believe. And collection of the resulting floor scrapings.

Kimchi,and suspected monkey meat made me so ill, that I thought I was going to die. They did actually take me to a hospital, where a goat visited, along with a chicken or two.
So to me, pretty much anything Korean brings up a really bad taste in my mouth.

brewnog said:
High pressure water jets, I believe. And collection of the resulting floor scrapings.
Cool. So they blow the bird apart and sweep up the goodies?:biggrin:

Last edited:
Packet soup, after reading that so many insect parts are allowed in it
and after seeing how it is made, heck one does not need a map to find
the factory just a sense of smell:yuck:

1. What is the "I wouldn't eat that on a bet" thread?

The "I wouldn't eat that on a bet" thread is a discussion forum on a popular online platform where users share their experiences and opinions about food and dishes that they would not eat even if they were offered a large sum of money.

2. Why do people have such strong opinions about certain foods?

Food preferences and aversions are influenced by a variety of factors such as cultural upbringing, personal taste, and past experiences. In some cases, people may also have allergies or intolerances to certain ingredients which can contribute to their avoidance of certain foods.

3. Are there any health risks associated with eating foods that people wouldn't eat on a bet?

In most cases, the foods discussed in the "I wouldn't eat that on a bet" thread are considered safe to consume in moderation. However, there may be some instances where certain foods can pose a health risk, such as consuming raw or undercooked meat or eggs.

4. Is the "I wouldn't eat that on a bet" thread just for fun or is there a scientific basis behind it?

While the thread may have started as a lighthearted discussion, there is actually a scientific basis behind people's food preferences and aversions. Studies have shown that factors such as genetics, taste receptors, and brain chemistry can all play a role in our food choices.

5. Can people's opinions about certain foods change over time?

Yes, people's food preferences and aversions can change over time due to a variety of factors. For example, as we age, our taste buds may become less sensitive, causing us to enjoy foods that we previously disliked. Additionally, exposure to new cuisines and dishes can also influence our food preferences.

Back