Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The I wouldn't eat that on a bet thread.

1. Mar 31, 2007 #1

turbo

Gold Member

The "I wouldn't eat that on a bet" thread.

Inspired by Evo's recent purchase of a "food" product made with a lot of water and that may or may not actually contain ham, and her adventures with "jerky" made from a meat paste seasoned with pre-packaged spices (and God knows what else), I am starting this thread for the discussion of things that can be eaten, but that are somewhat removed from what any good cook would call food. C'mon, fess up! What's in your pantry that would most likely qualify for the euphemistic phrase "food product" but that you wouldn't let your grandmother know you've been eating for fear of derision?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

:redface: "Lite" vienna sausage, made with "mechanically separated chicken".

Actually, after recently finding some packaged "food products" in my kitchen that expired in 2003, I am planning an archeological expedition into the dark recesses of my food pantry. With t_e tethered to me via my cell phone and headset, I will be digging through my pantry and describing to him what I find and we're going to try to guess how many years ago I bought it and why. I told him this event really needs to be filmed, but my video camera is broken. :frown:

He thought last weeks expedition was scary enough, but that was just a cupboard. I actually *did* cook some of the stuff and I'm still alive. He told me just to boil it for a really long time.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  4. Mar 31, 2007 #3

radou

Homework Helper

You better take a shotgun and a bullet-proof vest with you, Evo. The old food substances might have created some chemical reaction with air and moisture, and they might be...alive. :tongue:

5. Mar 31, 2007 #4

matthyaouw

Gold Member

6. Mar 31, 2007 #5

turbo

Gold Member

7. Mar 31, 2007 #6

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl: In a somewhat sickening way, that's one of the funniest things that I've read in a long time. Steve certainly has a way with words.

8. Mar 31, 2007 #7

turbo

Gold Member

"Chewing on your grandmother's thigh" INDEED. :yuck: :rofl:

9. Mar 31, 2007 #8
    Hahaha, Urkel-Os. :rofl: What a desperate attempt to sell cereal.

By the time I was at the Cuitlacoche, I had enough. I was feeling sick.

10. Mar 31, 2007 #9

turbo

Gold Member

If something is contaminated with botulinum toxin, boiling will destroy the toxin, though the spores can survive boiling, and if you ingest them....well. :surprised

11. Mar 31, 2007 #10

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How do they do that? I've got a few mental images of the machine.:surprised:

12. Mar 31, 2007 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I don't want to know. But if they have to state it on a label, it can't be good. :frown:

Although my canned tuna fish says "WARNING - May contain fish". It's an allergy warning. It's canned fish, we have to warn people that a can of fish might have <GASP> fish in it? :bugeye:

What's next? A carton of eggs warning that there might be eggs inside? :rolleyes: Is this unique to the US because of all of the frivolous lawsuits?

13. Mar 31, 2007 #12

Danger

Gold Member

Probably. Now that I have cable, I can't get over your US drug commercials with all of the warnings that essentially mean that you'll die if you take them. One of the dumbest is for a sleeping pill. Among the side-effects is 'possible drowsiness'. :rolleyes:

14. Mar 31, 2007 #13

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh man! You have to post a picture of that!

15. Mar 31, 2007 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just ruins the thrill of the suspense. :frown:

16. Mar 31, 2007 #15

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

High pressure water jets, I believe. And collection of the resulting floor scrapings.

17. Mar 31, 2007 #16
    Kimchi,and suspected monkey meat made me so ill, that I thought I was gonna die. They did actually take me to a hospital, where a goat visited, along with a chicken or two.
    So to me, pretty much anything Korean brings up a really bad taste in my mouth.

18. Mar 31, 2007 #17

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cool. So they blow the bird apart and sweep up the goodies?:biggrin:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  19. Apr 1, 2007 #18

wolram

Gold Member

Packet soup, after reading that so many insect parts are allowed in it
    and after seeing how it is made, heck one does not need a map to find
    the factory just a sence of smell:yuck:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?