The implications of symmetry + uniqueness in electromagnetism

In summary, the article "Symmetry, Uniqueness, and the Coulomb Law of Force" by Shaw (1965) discusses the use of symmetry arguments in electromagnetism problems. In the conversation, the speaker raises a question about the use of symmetry in a particular 1D problem with a charge distribution that is symmetric under a charge-flip and reflection about the xy plane. Through careful consideration of the intrinsic symmetries of the electric field, it is shown that the solution to this problem must have dipole characteristics.
EE18
I have tried to follow "Symmetry, Uniqueness, and the Coulomb Law of Force" by Shaw (1965) in both asking and solving this question, but to no avail. Some of the mathematical arguments there are a bit too quick for me but, it suffices to say, the paper tries to make the "by symmetry" arguments of introductory electromagnetism rigorous.

My question is the following: Consider a 1D situation in which I have a charge distribution which obeys 𝜌(𝑧)=−𝜌(−𝑧). Then I conclude that there must exist another solution obtained from my original solution via this symmetry: 𝐸′(𝑧)=−𝐸(−𝑧). But by the uniqueness of solutions to electromagnetism problems we have 𝐸′(𝑧)=𝐸(𝑧) so that we have 𝐸(𝑧)=−𝐸(−𝑧). But this is absurd, since it implies that the electric field everywhere points toward the origin which makes no sense for a distribution obeying 𝜌(𝑧)=−𝜌(−𝑧) (dipole) so that it should point in one direction everywhere. Where have I erred in "using symmetry"?

Edit: On reconsidering, I now have the following. We first observe that the symmetry ##\rho(z) = -\rho(-z)## is equivalent to saying that the system must be invariant under a reflection ##\rho(z) \to \rho(-z)## followed by a "flipping" of charge ##\rho(-z) \to -\rho(-z)##. These transformations being symmetries of the system mean that we can obtain another solution to the problem by performing ##E(z) \to E'(z') = E'(-z) = -E(-z)## (this step is analogous to Shaw equation (2)) followed by ##E'(z') \to E''(z') = -E'(z')= -(-E(-z)) = E(-z)##. Then, by uniqueness, it must be that the solution ##E''(z) = E(z)##...but from the above this just says ##E''(z) = E(-(-z)) = E(z)## which is useless (in the last step I have tried to use an analogue to Shaw equation (1)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have the text you are following, but I think I can follow.

You have a charge density distribution that is symmetric under a charge-flip + reflection about the xy plane, as you have said.

First, you need to consider the intrinsic symmetries of the electric field. Intrinsically, no matter what charge distribution you have, the electric field will flip sign under a charge-flip (since it's proportional to source charge) and the z-component of the E-field will flip sign under reflection about the xy plane (since it is proportional to force and thus acceleration along z). The x and y components of the electric field will be unchanged by the reflection about the xy plane, but they will flip under a charge-flip transformation.

Putting all of that together, you find that your electric field must satisfy:
$$ E_x(-z) = -E_x(z)$$ $$E_y(-z) = -E_y(z)$$ $$E_z(-z) = E_z(z)$$ This field has the dipole characteristic that you were looking for.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the concept of symmetry in electromagnetism?

Symmetry in electromagnetism refers to the idea that the laws and equations governing electromagnetic phenomena remain unchanged when certain transformations are applied, such as rotations, reflections, or translations. This allows for a more simplified understanding and prediction of electromagnetic behavior.

2. How does symmetry affect the behavior of electromagnetic fields?

Symmetry plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of electromagnetic fields. It allows for the identification of patterns and relationships between different phenomena, making it easier to predict and manipulate electromagnetic fields in practical applications.

3. What is the significance of uniqueness in electromagnetism?

Uniqueness in electromagnetism refers to the idea that there is only one solution to a given set of equations describing a particular electromagnetic phenomenon. This is important because it ensures that the behavior of electromagnetic fields can be accurately and consistently predicted.

4. How does uniqueness impact the development of new technologies?

The concept of uniqueness in electromagnetism is crucial in the development of new technologies. By understanding that there is only one solution to a given problem, scientists and engineers can design and create more efficient and effective devices that utilize electromagnetic fields.

5. How do symmetry and uniqueness work together in electromagnetism?

Symmetry and uniqueness are closely related concepts in electromagnetism. Symmetry allows for a more simplified understanding of electromagnetic behavior, while uniqueness ensures that this behavior can be accurately predicted and utilized in practical applications. Together, they provide a strong foundation for understanding and manipulating electromagnetic fields.