The incredible intelligence of crows

ElliotSmith
A crow solves an 8-part puzzle to use a longer stick to get at some food.

Likes Borg, ISamson and jedishrfu

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
We had a couple of threads here (or at least posts) about how smart crows are, and yeah, they ARE

ISamson
Gold Member
Here (Perth) they always steal plastic and smash lunch boxes to uncover and get the remains of food.

rootone
We had a couple of threads here (or at least posts) about how smart crows are, and yeah, they ARE
Recently I saw a crow scavenged a dumped bag of potato crisps, then dumped the empty bag into a nearby wheelie bin!

BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2022 Award
A few years ago, I watched a few years a couple of crows for about 10 minutes.
One had a walnut and was trying to drop it onto the street to break it open, but the second crow wanted to get the bits when the walnut broke so it was following the first bird around. The first crow therefore took lots of devious means to drop the walnut such that the nut would be on the ground near him (or her) before the other bird could get to it.
It was fascinating to watch.

ElliotSmith
Not just crows, but birds in general, particularly parrots.

Jacinta
That's certainly not what I thought when a crow pooped on my favourite hat as a child.

cosmik debris
We don't have a lot of crows in NZ but we do have a very intelligent mountain parrot we call the Kea. They are great problem solvers but are mainly known for their ability to strip your car of every piece of plastic, rubber or material.

Cheers

MulderFBI
I once saw a crow on the street that was soaking a dry piece of bread in a puddle. Smart-ass ;)

DennisN
Gold Member
I once saw a crow on the street that was soaking a dry piece of bread in a puddle. Smart-ass ;)
That's cool!

Prepare to be further amazed:
Smart Heron Used Bread To Fish - Super Smart Animals - BBC Earth

Choppy
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Crows really are intelligent birds. Unfortunately they've been dying by the thousands up in my province lately.

The problem was so bad, the provincial government commissioned a study to see what was causing all the crow deaths. I have a friend who does a lot of those bird surveys and he was asked to help out by the group conducting the study.

My friend ended up spending weeks out in the fields, "counting crows" so to speak and at the conclusion of the study, it turned out the problem was motorcycles.

You see crows spend a lot of time or roads, either for the heat or to nibble on road kill or worms that have washed up after a storm. But they're smart enough to warn each other. When a four wheeled vehicle approaches they all start crying out: "CAW CAW CAW!"

But the problem is that none of them can say: "MOTOWCYCLE MOTOWCYCLE MOTOWCYCLE!"

o0)

Last edited:
Likes nsaspook, 256bits, DennisN and 1 other person
mark!
How crows are making use of driving cars to open nuts really blew my mind:

revv
http://www.crowdedcities.com/#training

"The crow goes out telling the others, or keeps this secret to himself – we are not sure."

It will be interesting to see how this works out in the real world.

Last edited:
opus
Gold Member
Crows really are intelligent birds. Unfortunately they've been dying by the thousands up in my province lately.

The problem was so bad, the provincial government commissioned a study to see what was causing all the crow deaths. I have a friend who does a lot of those bird surveys and he was asked to help out by the group conducting the study.

My friend ended up spending weeks out in the fields, "counting crows" so to speak and at the conclusion of the study, it turned out the problem was motorcycles.

You see crows spend a lot of time or roads, either for the heat or to nibble on road kill or worms that have washed up after a storm. But they're smart enough to warn each other. When a four wheeled vehicle approaches they all start crying out: "CAW CAW CAW!"

But the problem is that none of them can say: "MOTOWCYCLE MOTOWCYCLE MOTOWCYCLE!"

o0)
10/10 execution from antitheses to conclusion.

Suggested for: The incredible intelligence of crows

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views