Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Island Game Thingy (probably been done a million times)

1. Mar 25, 2007 #1
    You know the one -- your plane crashes on a desert island: you can take

-10 novels
    -10 albums
    -10 DVD's

(I'll even be nicer than most and also allow you to take a "friend" with you.. and also, the plane was filled with cargo containing toothpaste and deodorant and stuff)

hope this thread hasn't been done too many times :)

here's my list:

NOVELS
    1- Lewis Carroll: alice in wonderland / through the looking glass
    2- George Orwell: 1984
    3- J.K Rowling: harry potter series (not gonna lie :rofl: )
    4- Ken Kasey: one flew over the cuckoo's nest (I never actually cried at the end of a book before this... I mean bawled my eyes out!)
    5- Alfed E. Neuman: the old testament
    6- Chuck (ridiculously hard to spell last name): fight club
    7- Chaucer: canterbury tales
    8- Safran Foer: extremely loud and incredibly close
    9- Kafka: The Trial
    10- Quino: Toda Mafalda

DVD's
    1- North By Northwest or Rear Window (can't decide)
    2- South Park movie ... and the show too
    3- Modern Times
    4- Squid And The Whale
    5- Eternal Sunshine Of A Spotless Mind
    6- The Matrix Trilogy
    7- Magnolia
    8- American Beauty
    9- Pulp Fiction
    10- Seinfeld show

agh 10 is not nearly enough!

ALBUMS:
    1- The Mars Volta: De-loused In The Comatorium
    2- The Beatles: Abbey Road
    3- The Pixies: Doolittle
    4- Menomena: Friend And Foe
    5- NOFX: Ribbed - or - White trash, Two Heebs, And A Bean (can't decide)
    6- Queens Of The Stone Age: Songs For The Deaf
    7- Radiohead: Kid A
    8- At The Drive-In: Relationship Of Command
    9- The Mars Volta: Frances The Mute
    10- Spoon: Kill The Moonlight

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2007 #2
    I do not have a DVD player or a CD player with me. I would rather spend my time trying to get of the island rather than to sit down and read.

10 random titles on survival on a deserted island and related topics.

4. Mar 25, 2007 #3
    hahaha

p.s: okay. and the airplane was also carrying solar powered CD/DVD players and TV's! ... and they're, um, water proof so it doesn't matter that they crashed into the sea.

5. Mar 25, 2007 #4
    You should consider the possibility of out growing your musical and literary taste while on the desert island. So you should bring a few Bach chorales and the odd Russian novel along with you too.

6. Mar 25, 2007 #5
    first of all: write a list! it's not fair that you get to criticize my poor taste while I can't criticize yours :biggrin:

lol O god not this. I always get this... I'll try not to bring out the fangs... but this always gets to me.

I listen to classical music every now and then, and some of it is in fact very beautiful, but none of it moves me like the music i've listed.

whether TMV are considered "serious" composers or not, I couldn't care less; their music and passion (and slightly comical pretentiousness) makes my mind and soul feel alive and warm.

I put these books and albums in my list not because they made me think more or are considered timeless, but because they've touched me in a special way..
    Harry potter are fun adventures with characters you grow to really love. "fight club" is just a kick-ass, fast, angry read.
    Alice is a masterpiece, even if it is a children's book.

I plead ignorance on russian literature :) *

maybe when 500 years from now some kids are sitting in a "popular art of the 20th century" classroom, bored to death because they couldn't care less about four dudes from England who wrote some love and peace guitar and rhythm quartets, or two american-latin dudes with big hair who wrote 30 minute prog pieces about babies with HIV... bored to death because they have to study these ridiculously outdated "TV shows" with ridiculously outdated language by some early 21st century satirists called M. Stone and T. Parker... maybe if modern medicine allows me to live to see that day... maybe then I'll finally be seen as a sophisticate!

* you should write your list and include some of these books you've alluded to. My idea of this thread was to find out other people's favorites, I always love finding out about a great artist I wasn't aware of.

p.s: I hope you've at least given some of these bands a try!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  7. Mar 25, 2007 #6

radou

Homework Helper

Moe, I'm too lazy to write a list, but I can only say that I'd borrow some things from your list, if, by accident, I crashed on the same island. :smile:

8. Mar 25, 2007 #7

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I used to read a lot more than I do now, but these are my old favorites:

Novels:

J.R.R. Tolkien: Lord of the Rings (even if it counted as three)
    Michael Crichton: Jurassic Park
    George Orwell: 1984
    William Golding: Lord of the Flies
    C.S. Lewis: Chronicles of Narnia
    Brian Jacques: Redwall
    Timothy Zahn: Heir to the Empire series
    Douglas Adams: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    George Orwell: Animal Farm
    Jack London: Call of the Wild

DVDs:

American Beauty
    Star Wars Trilogy (original + Revenge of the Sith)
    The Usual Suspects
    Kill Bill 1 & 2
    Austin Powers series
    Scrubs First Season
    Open Water
    Blair Witch Project
    The Compleat Beatles
    Monty Python complete series

Music:

Beatles: Abbey Road
    David Bowie: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
    Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin IV
    Radiohead: OK Computer
    Pink Floyd: The Dark Side of the Moon
    White Stripes: White Blood Cells
    Blur: Blur
    Nirvana: In Utero
    Beatles: Revolver
    The Velvet Underground: The Velvet Underground and Nico

I frequently refer to the above as my "gods". If I were a pagan, I would worship these albums.

I also wouldn't want to be without a few video games, so I'm going to make a list of those too:

Video Games:

N64: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Playstation: Grand Theft Auto III
    NES: Super Mario Brothers 3
    NES: The Legend of Zelda
    XBOX: Halo (if there were other people there)
    Computer: Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant
    SNES: Final Fantasy III
    NES: Dragon Warrior IV
    Computer: Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness
    Computer: Tie Fighter

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  9. Mar 25, 2007 #8

radou

Homework Helper

Novels:

/

Albums:

*All* Tarantino movie soundtracks
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly soundtrack
    American Beauty soundtrack
    Ten Years After - Cricklewood Green
    Led Zeppelin IV
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - some compilation
    Johnny Cash - American III: Solitary Man
    Death In June - all albums
    Dead Can Dance - DVD Toward the Within (counts into music)
    Therion - Theli

Movies:

Wild At Heart
    Blue Velvet
    Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2
    Braindead
    American Beauty (again!)
    Hannah And Her Sisters
    Once Upon A Time In America
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
    Perfect World
    The Sopranos - all seasons

10. Mar 25, 2007 #9
    I don't care what books I take with me, but I want really fat ones. I'll write down messages to send me some help with my coordinates (Hey, I'll be better off having a GPS rather than a water-proof solar-powered TV). I'll send those pages, a few a day, in bottles. (The bottles, of course, were carrying some beverage or the other, which I've consumed - remember, deodorants and stuff)

I may want some books to read, too: Robison Crusoe and Swiss Family Robinson would do.

Movies: DVD's of Cast Away and all the episodes Gilligan's Island. But since I've exchanged the TV for a GPS, I'll use them as frisbees. :biggrin:

11. Mar 25, 2007 #10
    Books with enough pages to construct a sail. Hopefully large, plastic covers could be used instead -in case it rains.
    One dvd might be good enough to use as a reflector to signal distant search planes.
    I wonder if the DVD cases could be sufficient enough for floating...

12. Mar 25, 2007 #11

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assuming we can never leave the island...

I'd bring 10 really big thorough textbooks of mathematics in a linear order to learn. That should keep me busy.

Since I would be bringing my iPod on the plane with me, I would have all my music with my anyways. No need to ponder with albums.

And for movies, I'd bring the collection of DVD's of Gilligan's island because it will comfort me that there exists bigger idiots on an island somewhere in the world. Plus, they make me laugh. And, a DVD collection of another show. I'm not really sure what show though. Maybe Leave it to Beaver.

That's about it.

13. Mar 25, 2007 #12

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's not a novel. That is a series which probably totals 10 books, so you're over the limit there. Because if we're aloud to bring series, well then I'd like to bring the The-Entire-Library of Harvard Series.

14. Mar 25, 2007 #13
    Actually, the 7th and last book of the series will be out in a couple of months. But even then he crossed the limit. :)

And, btw, I'm also not going to lie: I've never read any book from the series.

15. Mar 25, 2007 #14

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I never did either. History is already rich with beautiful stories.

16. Mar 25, 2007 #15
    I shouldn't be forced to think this much in the morning... But I'll do it anyway. :smile:

Books:

1.The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
    2. I, Claudius - Robert Graves
    3. Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations, and Games - Laszlo Polgar :tongue: Probably the only way I'd be able to get through it is if I crashed on an island. Yes, I know, its not a novel.
    4.Hachet - Gary Paulsen ( har har har )

I don't know, I really don't read many novels. I always find myself reading non-fiction. But those are the ones that I have enjoyed.

Movies:

1. Gladiator
    2. A Beautiful Mind
    3. 300
    4. Goodfellas
    5. Borat
    6. Star Wars (I haven't seen these yet. :eek: :frown:)
    7. Big Daddy
    8. Happy Gilmore
    9. All recorded simpsons episodes. :biggrin:
    10.The bourne supremacy

Albums:

Oh man, I haven't bought an album in ages. I just record streaming radio from http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/ , put it on my ipod, and off I go. :rofl:

17. Mar 25, 2007 #16

I agree, if given the option, I'd bring a few nice textbooks. :smile:

18. Mar 25, 2007 #17
    I would bring 10 blank books, and write my own stories

The CD's would be a mix of "best of" classic rock, perhaps a brash Baroque{for when i declare myself Queen}, and some complex jazz.

Any random DVD's would be fine as long as there not scary. I can't think of anything worse then being scared out of my mind, and only being able to run in circles.

19. Mar 25, 2007 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Novels:
    The Hobbit
    Lord of the Rings trilogy (there go 3 choices)
    Dune
    The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
    as many of the Asimov "Robot" series as I could smuggle in

Music:
    Pure Prairie League (eponymous 1st album, never released on CD)
    Allison Krause and Union Station Live
    Axis: Bold as Love - Hendrix
    Allman Brothers (eponymous 1st album)
    AC/DC -Dirty Deeds
    Danny Gatton - Best of
    Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler - Neck and Neck
    Pinetop Perkins - Live Top
    Muddy Waters - Fathers and Sons
    Robben Ford - Talk to your daughter

DVDs:
    Cool Hand Luke
    Crossroads
    One Flew over the Cuckoo's nest
    Caine Mutiny
    African Queen
    Rear Window
    Casablanca
    The Great Escape
    Star Wars (the original)
    The Unforgiven

20. Mar 25, 2007 #19
    It wasn't my intention to criticise your taste in music, especially since I like most of the bands you listed. I meant to address everyone (using the third-person 'you') to say, bring a little bit of music that you love, but also some music that you don't, because you might end up loving that music in the future. After several years on a desert island, you would surely be craving a new experience, that's why I think it would be a good idea to bring along some music that you know has depth but you've never thoroughly listened to before.

As for my list:

1. Arturo Michelangeli - Ravel's Piano Concerto in G Major. This music has moved has moved be like no other...
    2. Johnny Guitar Watson - A mix CD. Because it's so much fun.
    3. Jimi Hendrix - Another mix CD. Beautiful, lots of depth.
    4. Zawinul Syndicate - Live stuff from the Joe Zawinul DVD. So beautiful...
    5. Charles Mingus - Black Saint and the Sinner Lady. It's the depth thing again. I think if I was an a desert island, I would want to listen to music that would grow old only after a thousand listens.
    6. Duke Ellington - another mix CD. This would be my easy-listening / pop CD.
    7. Allan Holdsworth - Sixteen Men of Tain. Not as cheesy as the rest of Hozzer's stuff. Stunning music on this album...
    8. Debussy - assorted piano works. My favourite piano pieces are all by Debussy.
    9. Billie Holiday - another mix CD. Because I seem to relate to the emotions of female singers more...
    10. Prince - Dirty Mind. Gonna need something to jerk off to :surprised

21. Mar 25, 2007 #20
    a continuous series is one item. so no, I didn't cheat o:) .

lol sorry for jumping couperin. There are two subject that I can never control going on a rant: art and religion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?