The Island Game Thingy (probably been done a million times)

• Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary: Super Mario RPG and Secret of ManaPlaystation: Final Fantasy VIIN64: Super Smash BrothersGamecube: The Legend of Zelda: Wind WakerIn summary, if I were stranded on a desert island, I would bring 10 novels including classics like Lord of the Rings and modern favorites like Harry Potter, 10 DVDs including American Beauty and Monty Python, and 10 albums including The Beatles and The Mars Volta. I would also bring a few video games, including The Legend of Zelda and Grand Theft Auto III.
moe darklight
You know the one -- your plane crashes on a desert island: you can take

-10 novels
-10 albums
-10 DVD's

(I'll even be nicer than most and also allow you to take a "friend" with you.. and also, the plane was filled with cargo containing toothpaste and deodorant and stuff)

hope this thread hasn't been done too many times :)

here's my list:

NOVELS
1- Lewis Carroll: alice in wonderland / through the looking glass
2- George Orwell: 1984
3- J.K Rowling: harry potter series (not going to lie :rofl: )
4- Ken Kasey: one flew over the cuckoo's nest (I never actually cried at the end of a book before this... I mean bawled my eyes out!)
5- Alfed E. Neuman: the old testament
6- Chuck (ridiculously hard to spell last name): fight club
7- Chaucer: canterbury tales
8- Safran Foer: extremely loud and incredibly close
9- Kafka: The Trial
10- Quino: Toda Mafalda

DVD's
1- North By Northwest or Rear Window (can't decide)
2- South Park movie ... and the show too
3- Modern Times
4- Squid And The Whale
5- Eternal Sunshine Of A Spotless Mind
6- The Matrix Trilogy
7- Magnolia
8- American Beauty
9- Pulp Fiction
10- Seinfeld show

agh 10 is not nearly enough!

ALBUMS:
1- The Mars Volta: De-loused In The Comatorium
2- The Beatles: Abbey Road
3- The Pixies: Doolittle
4- Menomena: Friend And Foe
5- NOFX: Ribbed - or - White trash, Two Heebs, And A Bean (can't decide)
6- Queens Of The Stone Age: Songs For The Deaf
7- Radiohead: Kid A
8- At The Drive-In: Relationship Of Command
9- The Mars Volta: Frances The Mute
10- Spoon: Kill The Moonlight

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not have a DVD player or a CD player with me. I would rather spend my time trying to get of the island rather than to sit down and read.

10 random titles on survival on a deserted island and related topics.

Moridin said:

hahaha

p.s: okay. and the airplane was also carrying solar powered CD/DVD players and TV's! ... and they're, um, water proof so it doesn't matter that they crashed into the sea.

You should consider the possibility of out growing your musical and literary taste while on the desert island. So you should bring a few Bach chorales and the odd Russian novel along with you too.

first of all: write a list! it's not fair that you get to criticize my poor taste while I can't criticize yours :biggrin:

Couperin said:
You should consider the possibility of out growing your musical and literary taste while on the desert island. So you should bring a few Bach chorales and the odd Russian novel along with you too.

lol O god not this. I always get this... I'll try not to bring out the fangs... but this always gets to me.

I listen to classical music every now and then, and some of it is in fact very beautiful, but none of it moves me like the music I've listed.

whether TMV are considered "serious" composers or not, I couldn't care less; their music and passion (and slightly comical pretentiousness) makes my mind and soul feel alive and warm.

I put these books and albums in my list not because they made me think more or are considered timeless, but because they've touched me in a special way..
Harry potter are fun adventures with characters you grow to really love. "fight club" is just a kick-ass, fast, angry read.
Alice is a masterpiece, even if it is a children's book.

I plead ignorance on russian literature :) *

maybe when 500 years from now some kids are sitting in a "popular art of the 20th century" classroom, bored to death because they couldn't care less about four dudes from England who wrote some love and peace guitar and rhythm quartets, or two american-latin dudes with big hair who wrote 30 minute prog pieces about babies with HIV... bored to death because they have to study these ridiculously outdated "TV shows" with ridiculously outdated language by some early 21st century satirists called M. Stone and T. Parker... maybe if modern medicine allows me to live to see that day... maybe then I'll finally be seen as a sophisticate!

* you should write your list and include some of these books you've alluded to. My idea of this thread was to find out other people's favorites, I always love finding out about a great artist I wasn't aware of.

p.s: I hope you've at least given some of these bands a try!

Last edited:
Moe, I'm too lazy to write a list, but I can only say that I'd borrow some things from your list, if, by accident, I crashed on the same island. :smile:

I used to read a lot more than I do now, but these are my old favorites:

Novels:

J.R.R. Tolkien: Lord of the Rings (even if it counted as three)
Michael Crichton: Jurassic Park
George Orwell: 1984
William Golding: Lord of the Flies
C.S. Lewis: Chronicles of Narnia
Brian Jacques: Redwall
Timothy Zahn: Heir to the Empire series
Douglas Adams: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
George Orwell: Animal Farm
Jack London: Call of the WildDVDs:

American Beauty
Star Wars Trilogy (original + Revenge of the Sith)
The Usual Suspects
Kill Bill 1 & 2
Austin Powers series
Scrubs First Season
Open Water
Blair Witch Project
The Compleat Beatles
Monty Python complete seriesMusic:

Beatles: Abbey Road
David Bowie: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin IV
Radiohead: OK Computer
Pink Floyd: The Dark Side of the Moon
White Stripes: White Blood Cells
Blur: Blur
Nirvana: In Utero
Beatles: Revolver
The Velvet Underground: The Velvet Underground and Nico

I frequently refer to the above as my "gods". If I were a pagan, I would worship these albums.I also wouldn't want to be without a few video games, so I'm going to make a list of those too:

Video Games:

N64: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Playstation: Grand Theft Auto III
NES: Super Mario Brothers 3
NES: The Legend of Zelda
XBOX: Halo (if there were other people there)
Computer: Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant
SNES: Final Fantasy III
NES: Dragon Warrior IV
Computer: Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness
Computer: Tie Fighter

Last edited:
Novels:

/

Albums:

*All* Tarantino movie soundtracks
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly soundtrack
American Beauty soundtrack
Ten Years After - Cricklewood Green
Led Zeppelin IV
Lynyrd Skynyrd - some compilation
Johnny Cash - American III: Solitary Man
Death In June - all albums
Dead Can Dance - DVD Toward the Within (counts into music)
Therion - Theli

Movies:

Wild At Heart
Blue Velvet
Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2
Braindead
American Beauty (again!)
Hannah And Her Sisters
Once Upon A Time In America
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Perfect World
The Sopranos - all seasons

I don't care what books I take with me, but I want really fat ones. I'll write down messages to send me some help with my coordinates (Hey, I'll be better off having a GPS rather than a water-proof solar-powered TV). I'll send those pages, a few a day, in bottles. (The bottles, of course, were carrying some beverage or the other, which I've consumed - remember, deodorants and stuff)

I may want some books to read, too: Robison Crusoe and Swiss Family Robinson would do.

Movies: DVD's of Cast Away and all the episodes Gilligan's Island. But since I've exchanged the TV for a GPS, I'll use them as frisbees. :biggrin:

Books with enough pages to construct a sail. Hopefully large, plastic covers could be used instead -in case it rains.
One dvd might be good enough to use as a reflector to signal distant search planes.
I wonder if the DVD cases could be sufficient enough for floating...

Assuming we can never leave the island...

I'd bring 10 really big thorough textbooks of mathematics in a linear order to learn. That should keep me busy.

Since I would be bringing my iPod on the plane with me, I would have all my music with my anyways. No need to ponder with albums.

And for movies, I'd bring the collection of DVD's of Gilligan's island because it will comfort me that there exists bigger idiots on an island somewhere in the world. Plus, they make me laugh. And, a DVD collection of another show. I'm not really sure what show though. Maybe Leave it to Beaver.

That's about it.

moe darklight said:
3- J.K Rowling: harry potter series (not going to lie :rofl: )

That's not a novel. That is a series which probably totals 10 books, so you're over the limit there. Because if we're aloud to bring series, well then I'd like to bring the The-Entire-Library of Harvard Series.

JasonRox said:
That's not a novel. That is a series which probably totals 10 books, so you're over the limit there. Because if we're aloud to bring series, well then I'd like to bring the The-Entire-Library of Harvard Series.
Actually, the 7th and last book of the series will be out in a couple of months. But even then he crossed the limit. :)

And, btw, I'm also not going to lie: I've never read any book from the series.

neutrino said:
Actually, the 7th and last book of the series will be out in a couple of months. But even then he crossed the limit. :)

And, btw, I'm also not going to lie: I've never read any book from the series.

I never did either. History is already rich with beautiful stories.

I shouldn't be forced to think this much in the morning... But I'll do it anyway. :smile:

Books:

1.The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
2. I, Claudius - Robert Graves
3. Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations, and Games - Laszlo Polgar :tongue: Probably the only way I'd be able to get through it is if I crashed on an island. Yes, I know, its not a novel.
4.Hachet - Gary Paulsen ( har har har )

I don't know, I really don't read many novels. I always find myself reading non-fiction. But those are the ones that I have enjoyed.

Movies:

1. Gladiator
2. A Beautiful Mind
3. 300
4. Goodfellas
5. Borat
6. Star Wars (I haven't seen these yet. :eek: :frown:)
7. Big Daddy
8. Happy Gilmore
9. All recorded simpsons episodes. :biggrin:
10.The bourne supremacy

Albums:

Oh man, I haven't bought an album in ages. I just record streaming radio from http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/ , put it on my ipod, and off I go. :rofl:

JasonRox said:
Assuming we can never leave the island...

I'd bring 10 really big thorough textbooks of mathematics in a linear order to learn. That should keep me busy.

Since I would be bringing my iPod on the plane with me, I would have all my music with my anyways. No need to ponder with albums.

And for movies, I'd bring the collection of DVD's of Gilligan's island because it will comfort me that there exists bigger idiots on an island somewhere in the world. Plus, they make me laugh. And, a DVD collection of another show. I'm not really sure what show though. Maybe Leave it to Beaver.

That's about it.

I agree, if given the option, I'd bring a few nice textbooks. :smile:

I would bring 10 blank books, and write my own stories

The CD's would be a mix of "best of" classic rock, perhaps a brash Baroque{for when i declare myself Queen}, and some complex jazz.

Any random DVD's would be fine as long as there not scary. I can't think of anything worse then being scared out of my mind, and only being able to run in circles.

Novels:
The Hobbit
Lord of the Rings trilogy (there go 3 choices)
Dune
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
as many of the Asimov "Robot" series as I could smuggle in

Music:
Pure Prairie League (eponymous 1st album, never released on CD)
Allison Krause and Union Station Live
Axis: Bold as Love - Hendrix
Allman Brothers (eponymous 1st album)
AC/DC -Dirty Deeds
Danny Gatton - Best of
Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler - Neck and Neck
Pinetop Perkins - Live Top
Muddy Waters - Fathers and Sons
Robben Ford - Talk to your daughter

DVDs:
Cool Hand Luke
Crossroads
One Flew over the Cuckoo's nest
Caine Mutiny
African Queen
Rear Window
Casablanca
The Great Escape
Star Wars (the original)
The Unforgiven

moe darklight said:
first of all: write a list! it's not fair that you get to criticize my poor taste while I can't criticize yours :biggrin:

lol O god not this. I always get this... I'll try not to bring out the fangs... but this always gets to me.

I listen to classical music every now and then, and some of it is in fact very beautiful, but none of it moves me like the music I've listed.

whether TMV are considered "serious" composers or not, I couldn't care less; their music and passion (and slightly comical pretentiousness) makes my mind and soul feel alive and warm.

I put these books and albums in my list not because they made me think more or are considered timeless, but because they've touched me in a special way..

p.s: I hope you've at least given some of these bands a try!

It wasn't my intention to criticize your taste in music, especially since I like most of the bands you listed. I meant to address everyone (using the third-person 'you') to say, bring a little bit of music that you love, but also some music that you don't, because you might end up loving that music in the future. After several years on a desert island, you would surely be craving a new experience, that's why I think it would be a good idea to bring along some music that you know has depth but you've never thoroughly listened to before.

As for my list:

1. Arturo Michelangeli - Ravel's Piano Concerto in G Major. This music has moved has moved be like no other...
2. Johnny Guitar Watson - A mix CD. Because it's so much fun.
3. Jimi Hendrix - Another mix CD. Beautiful, lots of depth.
4. Zawinul Syndicate - Live stuff from the Joe Zawinul DVD. So beautiful...
5. Charles Mingus - Black Saint and the Sinner Lady. It's the depth thing again. I think if I was an a desert island, I would want to listen to music that would grow old only after a thousand listens.
6. Duke Ellington - another mix CD. This would be my easy-listening / pop CD.
7. Allan Holdsworth - Sixteen Men of Tain. Not as cheesy as the rest of Hozzer's stuff. Stunning music on this album...
8. Debussy - assorted piano works. My favourite piano pieces are all by Debussy.
9. Billie Holiday - another mix CD. Because I seem to relate to the emotions of female singers more...
10. Prince - Dirty Mind. Gonna need something to jerk off to

a continuous series is one item. so no, I didn't cheat o:) .

lol sorry for jumping couperin. There are two subject that I can never control going on a rant: art and religion.

Couperin said:
10. Prince - Dirty Mind. Gonna need something to jerk off to

Um... you can bring DVD's.

JasonRox said:
Um... you can bring DVD's.

hey, whatever bloats your float I always say...

but may I make an even better suggestion?

moe darklight said:
(I'll even be nicer than most and also allow you to take a "friend" with you..

Last edited:
dontdisturbmycircles said:
4.Hachet - Gary Paulsen ( har har har )

No offense, but there has never been a book I have hated more than Hatchet. I had to read the whole series in elementary school, and loathed every minute of it.

Moridin said:
I do not have a DVD player or a CD player with me. I would rather spend my time trying to get of the island rather than to sit down and read.

Can't DVDs and CDs be used for things? They do have special abilities that you wouldn't find on just any rock or piece of driftwood. I'd try and smuggle more. They could definitely be used to signal overhead flying planes. What else could they be used for?

Anybody got some creative ideas? :)

Actually! When I went to Thailand, I remember street food vendors hung CDs around their cooking areas. They thought it repelled flies. Is that a superstition or does it have some fact to it?

d_leet said:
No offense, but there has never been a book I have hated more than Hatchet. I had to read the whole series in elementary school, and loathed every minute of it.
I like that book fine.

Perhaps I would bring philosophy books? Only if there was no hope ever of escaping.

d_leet said:

LOL, yes I know, its not an amazing book. I read it when I was around 8, but would it not be ironic to read about a guy who's airplane crashed after your airplane crashed?

edit: I notice I said "those are the ones that I enjoyed".. I haven't gone through the chess book yet, and can't say I would read hatchet again. The two first ones are my favs, but in general I don't read novels very often. I wish I had the time.

Last edited:
dontdisturbmycircles said:
LOL, yes I know, its not an amazing book. I read it when I was around 8, but would it not be ironic to read about a guy who's airplane crashed after your airplane crashed?

Yes, I suppose, however, it would probably be more interesting to experience it then to read about it...:rolleyes:

I'll just have my iPod in my pocket containing all of the books I want, all the music I'd ever want to listen to, as well as movies.

I'd just be glad I had a friend there. Could you imagine being stuck ALONE for years and years? God that would suck.

Last edited:
SpaceTiger said:
Video Games:

N64: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Playstation: Grand Theft Auto III
NES: Super Mario Brothers 3
NES: The Legend of Zelda
XBOX: Halo (if there were other people there)
Computer: Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant
SNES: Final Fantasy III
NES: Dragon Warrior IV
Computer: Warcraft III: Tides of Darkness
Computer: Tie Fighter

Tides of Darkness is Warcraft II.
Warcraft III is Reign of Chaos and the expansion is Frozen Throne.

click said:
Tides of Darkness is Warcraft II.
Warcraft III is Reign of Chaos and the expansion is Frozen Throne.

Typo, that should be Warcraft II. It's the game that got me started on the genre. I liked III, but it was pretty much a juiced up version of the same game. Since then, I've been through Starcraft and Galactic Battlegrounds as well.

MODS: I hope this isn't seen as advertising, seeing as I'm recommending specific editions of books. I just post this because it took me some work to find good editions to these books and I like sharing good stuff when I find it :biggrin: . if it breaks any forum rules I'll take it down.

Just thought this is worth posting, but not really worth starting a brand new thread for :biggrin:

For books that are rather ancient, it's REALLY hard to find a good edition. For the canterbury tales, for example, there are so many different versions that it's a dizzying task to find what you're looking for: there are modern english versions—quality of translation and conservation of original tone varying—, Middle English versions that do not contain all the tales or lack a glossary or proper notes, RIDICULOUSLY expensive versions, etc. etc. etc.

This happens with most old books.

After I started this thread, I realized that, even though I've enjoyed these books so much, I don't actually own them!— I've read them mostly on the internet or in libraries or in school. In chunks. And whenever I've seen a copy at a bookstore, it's never a good one.

Well, I've finally got my copies— after a some work searching for the very best ones. So I thought it was worth to recommend the best editions I found, and save anyone else who might be thinking about getting these the trouble of making sure they're getting what they payed for.

(I put the ISBN code of each, since the title is sometimes the same for two completely different editions :uhh:)

Canterbury Tales: ISBN 014042234X — It's GREAT. Not only are all the tales in here, in Middle English as they were originally written (save modernized spelling in the case of letters that no longer exist), but there are a LOT of "bonus" features... like 550 pages of bonus stuff! . half of the book is notes on the history of the time, a little intro to the grammar and spelling of M.E, a section of VERY extensive notes on each tale filled with various expert interpretations and external resources, and a complete glossary (I'm yet to look for a word and find it missing)... 15$ ! . if you're Canadian like me, that's less than the GST on a can of pepsi :biggrin:.

The Old Testament: 0827606974 -- 0827607660 (hardcover and a cheaper edition) . The Hebrew and English translation side by side. Also filled with notes on every part that could be interpreted in different ways due to Hebrew's awkward spelling, and on passages whose meaning is unknown or debated. The source of the text is the official of the JPS and is the result of decades of looking for the best and most accurate old testament texts.

... I remember arguing with someone on a separate thread over this, they argued that, due to its awkward spelling, Hebrew words in the bible could be given many meanings. I claimed it was written in very straight-forward language.— the thread got out of control and was locked before I had the chance to reply and cite sources for my claim (and what better source than the text itself :) ).— The introduction deals with this misconception: while this happens, they calculated it happens in less then 99% of the passages! they mark every equivocal passage; there aren't many, and seldom does this happen at crucial plot points— ... but I'm ADD and strayed from whatever my point was.

Don Quijote: 8420467286 — I've actually never read it. Mostly because I couldn't find a Spanish version and I'd hate to have to read a translation of the language I was born to and speak at home :rofl: . If you speak spanish, this is a great edition, also filled with notes and essays (and contains BOTH books). with the exception of the hardcover old testament, they are all surprisingly cheap! at 9-15$ for books that are like 2000 pages each, filled with not only these great classics, but expert background, glossaries, and so on... this is great considering you'll find many crappy editions at 30 or even 40 bucks.

well... writing this has certainly helped me with my boredom and insomnia and nerves of moving to NY for a month next week far from everyone I know :bugeye:.

Last edited:
I wouldn't take anything. For me to prepare such a collection, I would have to know in advance that the flight would crash, in which case I wouldn't get on it. :approve:

The Story of the Vivian Girls
Artamene
A la recherche du temps perdu
mission earth
Sironia, Texas
Clarissa
A dance to the music of time
poor fellow my country
miss macintosh, my darling
la vicomte de bragelonne, ou dix ans plus tarde

turbo-1 said:
Lord of the Rings trilogy (there go 3 choices)

Actually, unlike Harry Potter, TLOTR was intended to be, and is available as, a single book. Or rather, it was to be six books available in a single volume. The publisher split it into three volumes in order to market it better. Rowling, on the other hand, intended very specifically for there to be 7 HP books.

Myself, I'd grab the first 7 thickest novels I can find, and then Feyman's lectures.

What is "The Island Game Thingy"?

"The Island Game Thingy" is a popular simulation game where players are stranded on a deserted island and must use their survival skills to build shelter, find food and water, and ultimately escape the island.

How do you play "The Island Game Thingy"?

To play "The Island Game Thingy", you can either purchase the physical board game or download a digital version on your computer or mobile device. The game typically involves rolling dice, making strategic decisions, and following the instructions on the game board or digital interface.

Is "The Island Game Thingy" based on a true story?

No, "The Island Game Thingy" is a fictional game and is not based on any real-life events or people.

What skills can be learned from playing "The Island Game Thingy"?

"The Island Game Thingy" can help players develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making skills. It also teaches players about survival techniques and teamwork.

Are there different versions of "The Island Game Thingy"?

Yes, there are various versions of "The Island Game Thingy" with different themes and gameplay mechanics. Some versions may also have expansion packs or additional features for more advanced players.

Back