1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Klein bottle using the Euler caracteristic + orientability caracterisation

1. Apr 6, 2007 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I went off on my own to study the Euler caracteristic + orentability caracterisation of closed surface and I must have gotten lost somewhere, because I do not find that the Klein bottle is homeomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{R}P^2\#\mathbb{R}P^2[/itex] as I should.

I started with the result that for two surfaces M and N, we have

[tex]\chi(M\#N)=\chi(M)+\chi(N)-2[/tex]

then I proved by induction that

[tex]\chi(M^{\#_k})=(k+1)\chi(M)-2k[/tex]

which can be solved for k:

[tex]k=\frac{\chi(M^{\#_k})-\chi(M)}{\chi(M)-2}[/tex]

Now, the Klein bottle is not orientable, so it must be homeomorphic to [itex](\mathbb{R}P^2)^{\#_k}[/itex] for some k. And since the Euler caracteristic is a topological invariant, it must be that

[tex]\chi((\mathbb{R}P^2)^{\#_k})=\chi(K)[/tex]

And so, according to the above formula for k, with [itex]\chi(M)=\chi(\mathbb{R}P^2)=1[/itex],

[tex]k=\frac{\chi(K)-1}{1-2}=1-\chi(K)[/tex]

So all that remains to do is to triangulate K and find its Euler caracteristic. A fundamental polygon for the Klein bottle is provided here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classification_theorems_of_surfaces#Construction_from_polygons

I believe it can be triangulated simply by drawing a side across one of the diagonal. All the vertices are identified, so V=1. There are 3 distinct sides, so E=3. My triangulation has 2 triangles so F=2, thus

[tex]\chi(K)=1-3+2=0[/tex]

But this means that k=1, which is incorrect. It should be 2.

Where did I go wrong?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2007 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well your euler characteristic calculation seems correct, since just looking at a picture of a klein bottle (the picture in my head) shows it obviously has the same edges faces and vertices as a torus, hence has the same euler chracteristic, namely zero. so the error is likely somewhere else.

4. Apr 6, 2007 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Whoah! There's no error at all !

[tex]\mathbb{R}P^2\#\mathbb{R}P^2 = (\mathbb{R}P^2)^{\#_1}[/tex]

k=1 is correct! :grumpy:

Edit: No! k should be 2 but I made an error in the very begining by misinterpreting the #_k notation. I thought k refered to the number of # symbol, while it refers to the number of spaces you glue together.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?