Components of *J in Kerr geometry

There you have a background Kerr spacetime, and you consider a scalar field on that background which is supposed to represent, say, a massive field in a black hole background. The massive field is "test" in the sense that it doesn't backreact on the background geometry. But it still produces superradiance.
etotheipi
I am in the middle of a problem for the Kerr geometry, I need to do the integral ##\int_{\mathcal{N}} \star J## over a null hypersurface ##\mathcal{N}## which is a subset of ##\mathcal{H}^+##, where ##J_a = -T_{ab} k^b## and the orientation on ##\mathcal{N}## is ##dv \wedge d\theta \wedge d\chi## so that ##\int_{\mathcal{N}} \star J = \int_{\phi{(\mathcal{N})}} dv d\theta d\chi (\star J)_{v\theta \chi}##. It's supposed to be that ##(\star J)_{v\theta \chi} = (r_+^2 + a^2)\sin\theta \xi^a J_a##, but how do you get this? I tried to work backward from this to ##(\star J)_{v\theta \chi} = \dfrac{1}{3!} g^{ba} \epsilon_{v\theta \chi b} J_a## but not successfully. I had thought that maybe from the Rayachudri equation with ##\hat{\sigma} = \hat{\omega} = 0## that \begin{align*}
0 = R_{ab} \xi^a \xi^b \vert_{\mathcal{H}+} = 8\pi T_{ab} \xi^a \xi^b \vert_{\mathcal{H}+} &= 8\pi T_{ab} \xi^a \left(k^b + \dfrac{a}{r_+^2 + a^2} m^b \right) \vert_{\mathcal{H}+} \\

0 &= \left( -8\pi \xi^a J_a + \dfrac{a}{r_+^2 + a^2} 8\pi T_{ab} m^b \right) \vert_{\mathcal{H}+}
\end{align*}so that ##(r_+^2 + a^2) \sin{\theta} \xi^a J_a \vert_{\mathcal{H}+} = a \sin{\theta} T_{ab} m^b \vert_{\mathcal{H}+}##. But now I don't know what to do with ##T_{ab} m^b##? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
etotheipi said:
I need to do the integral ##\int_{\mathcal{N}} \star J## over a null hypersurface ##\mathcal{N}## which is a subset of ##\mathcal{H}^+##, where ##J_a = -T_{ab} k^b##
Kerr spacetime is a vacuum spacetime, so ##T_{ab} = 0## everywhere. So this doesn't make sense.

Where is this problem coming from?

It is question 6: https://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/examples/3R3c.pdf. For the first part I already wrote that since Penrose diagram would show two lines representing ##\Sigma## and ##\Sigma'## starting at ##i_0## and meeting ##\mathcal{H}^+## in the 2-spheres ##H## and ##H'##, and because on the diagram the subset of ##\mathcal{H}^+## connecting ##H## and ##H'## represents ##\mathcal{N}##, the hypersurfaces ##\Sigma##, ##\Sigma'## and ##\mathcal{N}## bound a spacetime region ##R##, so\begin{align*}E(\Sigma) - E(\Sigma') + E(\mathcal{N}) = - \int_{\partial R} \star J = - \int_R d \star J = 0 \\\end{align*}and so ##E(\Sigma) - E(\Sigma') = -E(\mathcal{N}) = \int_{\mathcal{N}} \star J##. I'm not completely sure that's right, but it seems reasonable. And for (b) the orientation is fixed by Stokes. But I am totally stuck on (c).

etotheipi said:
Hm. The question still doesn't make sense to me, since, as I said, Kerr spacetime is a vacuum spacetime, so ##T_{ab} = 0## everywhere, but the question is talking about "matter fields". Perhaps it is talking about some kind of approximation where the behavior of a matter field is being analyzed on a background Kerr spacetime, where the matter field is considered a "test field" which doesn't produce any spacetime curvature on its own.

Likes etotheipi
PeterDonis said:
Perhaps it is talking about some kind of approximation where the behavior of a matter field is being analyzed on a background Kerr spacetime, where the matter field is considered a "test field" which doesn't produce any spacetime curvature on its own.
The reference in part (e) to superradiant scattering seems to bear this out, since other treatments of superradiance, such as the one in MTW, take a similar approach.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is the Kerr geometry?

The Kerr geometry is a mathematical model that describes the curvature of spacetime around a rotating black hole. It was developed by physicist Roy Kerr in 1963.

2. What are the components of *J in Kerr geometry?

The components of *J in Kerr geometry refer to the angular momentum of a rotating black hole. It is described by two components, Jz and Jϕ, which represent the angular momentum along the z-axis and the azimuthal direction, respectively.

3. How are the components of *J in Kerr geometry calculated?

The components of *J in Kerr geometry can be calculated using the Kerr metric, which is a set of equations that describe the geometry of spacetime around a rotating black hole. These equations take into account the mass, spin, and charge of the black hole.

4. What is the significance of the components of *J in Kerr geometry?

The components of *J in Kerr geometry are important because they determine the properties of a rotating black hole, such as its event horizon and ergosphere. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of matter and light near a black hole.

5. How do the components of *J in Kerr geometry differ from those in other geometries?

The components of *J in Kerr geometry are specific to the Kerr metric and cannot be applied to other geometries, such as the Schwarzschild metric. In other geometries, the angular momentum may be described by different components or may not be applicable at all.