The Law of Conservation of Momentum

In summary, the concept of inelastic collisions and conservation of momentum can be confusing. While total momentum is always conserved during an inelastic collision, the total kinetic energy may not be. This can be seen in the example of two objects with equal mass colliding and sticking together, resulting in a decrease in velocity but no change in momentum. This may seem contrary to the law, but it is important to remember that momentum is a vector quantity and can change in direction as well as magnitude.
temaire

Homework Statement

This is more of a theoretical problem than a practical one. I am having a bit of difficulty understanding the concept of inelastic collisions and conservation of momentum. The law states that during inelastic collisions, total momentum is conserved, but total kinetic energy is not. But then I think to myself: if kinetic energy decreases in an inelastic collision, then the velocity of the colliding objects must decrease, which then means that the total momentum of the system decreases. However, this is contrary to the law. Can someone clear this up for me?

Homework Equations

[tex]p=mv[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Like I said, this is more of a theoretical problem, so there shouldn't be a need to show any work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Compare your problem to an actual example. A 1kg mass moving at 1m/s to the right collides with a 1kg mass moving at 1m/s to the left and they stick together. The result is a stationary 2kg mass. The velocities decreased, did the momentum? Remember momentum is a vector quantity.

I understand your confusion about the concept of inelastic collisions and conservation of momentum. Let me try to clarify it for you.

First, let's review the law of conservation of momentum. It states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the total momentum of the system remains constant, regardless of the type of collision.

Now, let's look at inelastic collisions. In these types of collisions, kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that the objects involved in the collision lose some of their kinetic energy, usually in the form of heat, sound, or deformation. This decrease in kinetic energy does not violate the law of conservation of momentum because the objects also experience an equal and opposite change in momentum.

To understand why this is the case, let's consider a simple example. Imagine two identical objects colliding in an inelastic manner. Before the collision, both objects are moving at the same velocity, and therefore have the same momentum. During the collision, some of their kinetic energy is lost due to the factors mentioned earlier. However, the objects still have the same mass and velocity, so their momenta remain the same. The decrease in kinetic energy is offset by an increase in momentum, so the total momentum of the system remains constant.

In conclusion, the law of conservation of momentum still holds true in inelastic collisions because the decrease in kinetic energy is compensated by an increase in momentum. I hope this explanation helps to clear up your confusion. Remember, as scientists, it is important to question and seek understanding, so keep up the good work!

What is the Law of Conservation of Momentum?

The Law of Conservation of Momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum of all objects before and after a collision or interaction will remain constant. This means that the total amount of momentum before the interaction is equal to the total amount of momentum after the interaction.

How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. In equation form, it is represented as p = m x v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. Momentum is measured in units of kg*m/s.

What is an example of the Law of Conservation of Momentum in action?

A classic example of the Law of Conservation of Momentum is when two billiard balls collide on a pool table. The first ball has a certain momentum as it travels towards the second ball, and when they collide, the first ball's momentum is transferred to the second ball, causing it to move in the opposite direction with the same momentum. This is an example of momentum being conserved in a closed system.

Is the Law of Conservation of Momentum always true?

Yes, the Law of Conservation of Momentum is a fundamental law of physics and is always true in a closed system. However, it is important to note that in real-world situations, external forces such as friction can affect the outcome of an interaction and may not result in a perfectly conserved momentum.

How does the Law of Conservation of Momentum relate to Newton's Third Law?

The Law of Conservation of Momentum is a direct result of Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of momentum, the action and reaction are the forces applied by two objects on each other during a collision or interaction. The conservation of momentum ensures that these forces are equal and opposite, resulting in a conserved total momentum.