The Long Emergency : What do you think?

• News
  • Thread starter Chi Meson
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the book "The Long Emergency" by James Howard Kunstler, which predicts a global catastrophe due to the depletion of oil reserves. The conversation also mentions alternative sources of energy such as nuclear power and the potential for fusion technology. Some believe that these solutions may only be temporary, while others have hope for their potential to save us. The conversation also touches on the impact of dwindling resources on global politics and the potential for wars. Overall, the conversation highlights the need for an inexhaustible energy source and the uncertainty of our future in a post-oil world.
One of the hardships expected by Mr. K is the collapse of technical research due to the loss of the cheap energy to power all of our labs. Again, I think his prediction is a bit early and sudden. I would expect a long taper from oil. But nonetheless without petrolium-powered electricity, we cannot power (all of) our huge accelerators and fusion labs. This suggests a bit of a race to find the "fusion solution" before petrolium completely dries up.

And in my days of pessimism, I do enjoy being told that I am wrong, so have at it all.

Physics news on Phys.org
kyleb said:
You answered in regard to 'some places', I'm asking in regard to the entire continent.
Different things are going to happen to different countries. Some countries, like Egypt, will probably never be so overrun with AIDS that they will collapse. Are you looking for me to write a hundred page report on how AIDS will affect Africa? Sorry, it ain't going to happen.

No, I'm just asking you your exstimate of a date in regard to this:
russ_watters said:
Africa is going to take care of itself one way or another: either it'll become more affluent or AIDS will kill off the entire continent.