The Magnetic Field of Coaxial Cables

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Ghassan_2k
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A coaxial cable of length l, has a thin wall cylindrical inner conductor of radius a carrying current I. All current returns along the outer conductor whose inner radius is b.

Assuming that the current flows only in a thin layer on each conductor, determine the magnitude and direction of the magnetic induction B at radius r.

a) when r<a
b) when a<r<b
c) when r>b

Homework Equations


[tex]\oint(B.dl) = \mu0 I[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution


Ive just started studying magnetostatics and am a little bit confused. I think using Ampere's Law in each of the three cases is the right thing to do, but I am unsure on what the value for I is in each case.

For part a), i think B * 2 * pi * r = [tex]\mu[/tex]0 * I
but then i don't know how it differs for part b).

Thanks for any help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The [itex]I_{enc}[/itex] in Ampere's Law is the net current flowing through your Amperean loop. So, what are you using for your Amperian loop?