Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Man From Earth - movie question

1. Mar 2, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This caught my eye at the video store and I haven't been able to find it in stock for over two months. Has anyone watched this? Is it that good or is this some kind of cheesy cult movie?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

Some of the reviews suggest that this could be a relatively unfunded classic.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2008 #2

wolram

Gold Member

Ivan, it is not very good, i will not spoil it but it is all talk and NO action, but then again some might enjoy the debate.

You can get a preview or even the whole movie in amongst this lot, sorry i forget which

http://www.ovguide.com/

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  4. Mar 2, 2008 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, yes, I consider that a potential positive. :biggrin:

Was the debate stupid or was the objection that you don't enjoy those sorts of movies?

5. Mar 2, 2008 #4

wolram

Gold Member

I can not tell you about it without spoiling it, but i think it is not your type of movie, you do mentor S and D.

6. Mar 3, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the link. I guess I will have to join a movie download service.

BUT, I loved the movie! :biggrin: All in all I consider this to be great piece of sci-fi: I thought 90% of it was extremely well written with the science being mostly acceptable. The acting was somewhere between acceptable and good but with a few bloopers [okay, that may be a bit too kind, but some of the problem could be the directing], but in the end it was a lot of fun to watch - quite an achievement given that they only use one simple livingroom set for the entire movie! This rates as a classic in my book; probably in my top ten for sci-fi.

Now I know why it has been checked out for two months solid.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?