The Mathematics of the Gods and the Algorithms of Men

In summary, the conversation discusses a negative review of a book and the credibility of the reviewer, who is a lecturer in history of science at Edinburgh University and also happens to be American. The conversation also touches on the idea of academia being parochial and the potential implications of the reviewer's nationality.
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Physics news on Phys.org
epenguin said:
(The reviewer is qualified - a lecturer in history of science at Edinburgh University, and in case you don't think that is enough, he is American :smile: )
But you are aware of the fact that History + Edinburgh is far more convincing than History + American? I could write a book about the latter!

And the review is quite convincing in my opinion.

fresh_42 said:
But you are aware of the fact that History + Edinburgh is far more convincing than History + American? I could write a book about the latter!

Well you may say that Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries; for mathematics, the cultural world is one country, but I believe I have observed that in practice academia can sometimes be a bit more parochial about trust and reputation than the ideal so I thought to disarm any possible wariness on that account - just in case, I said, just in case. :oldbiggrin:

Last edited:
epenguin said:
(The reviewer is qualified - a lecturer in history of science at Edinburgh University, and in case you don't think that is enough, he is American :smile: )

http://mbarany.com/

Is the fact that he is American, (do you mean a US citizen?), meant to be reassuring or the exact opposite?

Cheers

What is "The Mathematics of the Gods and the Algorithms of Men" about?

"The Mathematics of the Gods and the Algorithms of Men" is a book that explores the relationship between mathematics and technology, and how it has shaped human civilization. It delves into the history of mathematics and how it has been used to advance scientific and technological developments.

Who is the author of "The Mathematics of the Gods and the Algorithms of Men"?

The author of "The Mathematics of the Gods and the Algorithms of Men" is Paolo Zellini, an Italian mathematician and philosopher.

What makes "The Mathematics of the Gods and the Algorithms of Men" unique?

The book takes a philosophical approach to understanding the impact of mathematics and technology on society. It also explores how these concepts have influenced various fields such as art, literature, and economics.

What are some key concepts discussed in "The Mathematics of the Gods and the Algorithms of Men"?

Some key concepts explored in the book include the origins of mathematics, the development of algorithms, the role of technology in shaping human society, and the ethical implications of using mathematics and technology.

Who would benefit from reading "The Mathematics of the Gods and the Algorithms of Men"?

This book would be beneficial for anyone interested in the history and philosophy of mathematics and technology, as well as how these concepts have influenced human civilization. It would also be a valuable read for those interested in the ethical implications of using mathematics and technology in our modern world.