The moment of inertia of circular sector

In summary, to find the moment of inertia of a circular sector about the X axis, which is symmetrical, use the formula I_{x} = ∫y^{2} dA or ∫∫ y^{2} dy dx. The limits of integration can be found by defining the bounding curves as functions of x or y, with x varying from |cot(θ)y| to sqrt(R^2 - y^2) and y varying from 0 to R. Alternatively, you can integrate in polar coordinates for easier calculations due to radial symmetry.
ahmeeeeeeeeee
Hello

how can I find the moment of inertia of a circular sector about the X axis , which the sector is symmetrical about , with -θ down and θ above ?!

I[itex]_{x}[/itex] = ∫y[itex]^{2}[/itex] dA = ∫y[itex]^{2}[/itex] *y *dx

Or =∫∫ y[itex]^{2}[/itex] dy dx

I don't know how to put the limits of integration , I turned it to polar double integral and put the limits of r from zero to R , and limits of θ from -θ to θ and it gave the correct answer but I don't know why :)

Physics news on Phys.org
That's correct if you assume a uniform density distribution of 1. In x and y, you could use two types of limits. If we define the bounding curves by x as a function of y, you can go from the V shape to the circle. The V shape would be from x = |cot(θ)y| and it would go to x = sqrt(R^2 - y^2) . y would then vary from 0 to R. You can also go the other way around and define the curves as functions of x. However, you can see that since your area has radial symmetry, it is easier to integrate in polar coordinates.

1. What is the equation for calculating the moment of inertia of a circular sector?

The moment of inertia of a circular sector can be calculated using the equation I = (mR^2)/2, where m is the mass of the sector and R is the radius.

2. How does the angle of the sector affect its moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia of a circular sector is directly proportional to the square of the radius and the angle of the sector. The larger the angle, the larger the moment of inertia.

3. What is the significance of the moment of inertia in circular sectors?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation. In circular sectors, it helps determine the angular acceleration and stability of the sector.

4. Can the moment of inertia of a circular sector be negative?

No, the moment of inertia of a circular sector cannot be negative as it is a physical property that represents the distribution of mass in an object. A negative value would not make physical sense.

5. How does the moment of inertia of a circular sector compare to that of a solid disk?

The moment of inertia of a circular sector is always less than that of a solid disk with the same mass and radius. This is because a sector has a smaller distribution of mass compared to a solid disk.