The most amazing thing you've seen

Same here. I took my family to see it. Pulling into a parking area, it was still fairly dark, and the giant Saturn 5 was lit by floodlights. It was like a science fiction set, but better because it was real. I still get watery eyes thinking about that scene and the liftoff. Later we drove to Kitty Hawk NC and watched the landing on a motel TV.

I was raised on Ray Bradbury, this seemed to pull everything together...
One of the most amazing things that I remember about the launch was being able to feel the seven million pounds of thrust vibrate the ground that I was standing on. And I was many miles from the launch pad.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Certainly the launches of the various spacecraft have been amazing, and the views of ISS and the earth, and the moon closeup, and the astronauts landing on the moon.

I've seen double rainbows from the ground and air, meteorites overhead, and Saturn and Jupiter through 14-inch and 18-inch, and numerous galaxies. All amazing stuff.

To those, I'd add the birth of my two children. From conception to birth - that is an amazing process.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGhdX1SI3KY

How a man led the world to the deadliest war in history and destroyed the grandious Europe is the most amazing(not in the good sense) thing I've seen.

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
That's a really interesting video. I have never seen this much of one Hitler's speeches before. I have only seen excerpts that are a few seconds long. There are a few things that are really noticeable: The intensity and passion, his voice, his body language (the way he waves his arms, the way he gets up on his toes), the fact that there is almost no content in what he's saying, the ecstatic audience, the number of cameras in the room, etc. This looks more like a scene from a very well-directed movie than like something that actually happened. It was more like a religious nut meeting / rock concert than like a political rally.

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
That's a really interesting video. I have never seen this much of one Hitler's speeches before. I have only seen excerpts that are a few seconds long. There are a few things that are really noticeable: The intensity and passion, his voice, his body language (the way he waves his arms, the way he gets up on his toes), the fact that there is almost no content in what he's saying, the ecstatic audience, the number of cameras in the room, etc. This looks more like a scene from a very well-directed movie than like something that actually happened. It was more like a religious nut meeting / rock concert than like a political rally.
I'm not positive, but I think it was made by Leni Riefenstahl. She made documentaries and propaganda for Hitler. If you can get past the content of her films, the cinematography really shows her genius.

The greatest thing I've ever seen, and I wasn't there, it's a photo my brother took, is of a (the?) salt lake high up in Bolivia. It has about an inch of water on it, and reflects the sky. It looks out of this world!

Here's a small version of the photo, you can find it with Google easily.

avatars-000001981765-sbmd8r-crop.jpg

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The greatest thing I've ever seen, and I wasn't there, it's a photo my brother took, is of a (the?) salt lake high up in Bolivia. It has about an inch of water on it, and reflects the sky. It looks out of this world!

That is spectacular. It looks like some scene from a movie depicting heaven.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The bright blue-white light of my Guardian Angel in a dark room without windows. I was not the only one who saw it.

Evo

Mentor
The latest on the Japan tsunami.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633/scuba-divers-reveal-remnants-of-japan-tsunami-25523722 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

mege

At a star party, I saw Jupiter and its moons in a pair of tripod-mounted binocs, and I realized just how close they were. I kept looking in the binocs then line-of-sight, then in the binocs then line-of-sight. Jupiter's moons are almost visible to the naked eye, and that made me feel like they're fruit hanging low from a tree, just waiting to be picked. I was sold on astronomy.
I have very similar inspiration. Seeing Jupiter's and Saturn's features through a neighbor's back-yard telescope, when I was a kid, are some of my fondest memories. The more I learn now, the more I'm amazed at what I really saw.

A close second is Hale-Bopp's semi-permanence in the sky in 1997. I think most view the sky with a certain predictable permanence, and the comment showed that not to be the case.

DaveC426913

Gold Member
I have very similar inspiration. Seeing Jupiter's and Saturn's features through a neighbor's back-yard telescope, when I was a kid, are some of my fondest memories. The more I learn now, the more I'm amazed at what I really saw.

A close second is Hale-Bopp's semi-permanence in the sky in 1997. I think most view the sky with a certain predictable permanence, and the comment showed that not to be the case.
Are you old enough to remember Kotoutek? Visible in broad daylight with a tail longer than your hand at arm's length.

Danger

Gold Member
Are you old enough to remember Kotoutek? Visible in broad daylight with a tail longer than your hand at arm's length.
I was so old when that that damned thing got around to visiting us that I was taking a nap and missed it entirely. :grumpy:

By the bye... isn't there supposed to be an "h" in there at approximately the position that you inserted the first "t"? Just asking.

Of course I remember Ketoehek. I missed getting on the alien spaceship hiding in its wake and have been stuck on this microscopic particle ever since, jutting out of it like a sore thumb.

I like that picture so much. Do you have the large version of that photo. I tried to google it but couldn't find the exact photo..

OmCheeto

Gold Member
Watching the boat I'd spent 4 years restoring

halfdnes.jpg

~1999

rosi.jpg

~2003

get destroyed in less than 10 seconds....

rosi_still_floats.JPG

April 24, 2006

At least she still floats.

Fortunately, I found http://home.europa.com/~garry/trista2007trianglelake.jpg" [Broken] in Charville a few months later.

ps. It looked pretty much like the recent Japanese Tsunami, all black and boiling. Only we were standing there, with nowhere to run.

IMG_0028rs.JPG

April 30, 2006 re-enacting what we went through. (For the lawyers.....)

post-non-humorous notes to self: 1. Regardless of how beautiful a day seems to be, always have a route of egress in mind. 2. Unhook the stern anchor if the tsunami is going to be more than 10 feet in height. You will know this because the river level will drop 10 feet before the tsunami hits. 3. Grab your keys and wallet before the tsunami strikes, because if you survive, at least you'll be able to drive home, and not spend the next week getting a locksmith to make a key for your car because your keys were in your vest, and your emergency key was in your wallet, which was also in your vest, which was hanging over the back of your beach chair, which was dragged into 20 feet of water by the freaking tsunami. On the bright side though, none of us died that afternoon. But still..... @#&*#$%^$%^#!!!!!!!!!!!

Janus

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Probably this:
[PLAIN]http://www.scarborough.k12.me.us/wis/teachers/dtewhey/webquest/nature/images/St.%20Helens.jpg [Broken]

The 1980 Mt. St. Helens eruption, mainly because I lived close enough to see it from my backyard.

In my freshman year while experimenting, I stared into the bathroom mirror until the room was completely whited out.

turbo

Gold Member
There is amazing stuff everywhere, though we have to be open to it, and aware.

A while back, I took my dog out for a walk along the road and startled a flock of mourning doves. As they flushed and started gaining altitude, a goshawk swooped out of the woods and picked one out of the air. That was a hard hit, with feathers flying everywhere. I had my Panasonic pocket camera in my pocket (of course) with no chance of capturing that. Confirmed: goshawks are large enough and strong enough to lug off a mourning dove. The broad-winged hawks generally pluck them and dismember them on the ground.

I like that picture so much. Do you have the large version of that photo. I tried to google it but couldn't find the exact photo..
My brother took it, let me see if I can get a large version :)