The number of space debris objects beyond the geostationary orbit

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Eagle9
Messages
238
Reaction score
10
Good day to all :wink:
I would like to find out the amount of man-made objects rotating around the Earth at high altitudes, more precisely beyond the geostationary orbit, for example at the altitude of 45 000/50 000/60 000 km above the sea level. Are there any data available for this purpose? I mentioned in one paper that space at such altitudes are relatively free from man-made objects than at Low/Medium Earth orbits and I need some graphs, illustrations to show/prove it. Could you please help me in it? :)
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
No idea about the numbers, but there is an obvious problem with your question - how do you want to classify objects on elliptical orbits?
 
Borek said:
No idea about the numbers, but there is an obvious problem with your question - how do you want to classify objects on elliptical orbits?

Well, I just would like to know their number, at least approximately. Besides (and first of all) I would like to know how many satellites were put on the high circular orbits (beyond the geostationary orbit) and also-how many satellites have got highly elliptical orbits to reach 45 000/50 000/60 000 km altitude in their apogees o:)
 
Space Junk

Velocities = 6,500 miles per hour to over 17,000 miles per

Orbital speed below 2000 KM = Approx 7 to 8 km/s

Large objects being tracked by NASA = 19,000

Objects between 1 and 10 centimeters in size = half a million

Smaller than 1 centimeter in diameter = tens of millions.

Greatest concentrations are at about 800-850 km altitude.


http://orbitaldebris.jsc.nasa.gov/faqs.html#2




.
 
Last edited by a moderator: