The number of ways to express a specific summation

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical question about finding the rule for the function F(x,y) which gives the number of different ways that an integer x can be expressed as the summation of y pieces of integers. An example is given to clarify the concept, and it is noted that counting different arrangements of the same numbers can make the problem easier. The term "partition" is suggested as a starting point for finding a formula that considers different arrangements as the same.
eehsun
Hello all,

I have been thinking about a particular mathematical question (that I've made up) and I haven't been able to reach a solution yet..

I want to find the rule for the function F(x,y) which gives the number of different "ways" that the integer x can be expressed as the summation of "y" pieces of integers (these integers have to be bigger than or equal to 1) (sorry for my awful technical English :))

Let me clarify it with an example:

When we consider F(9,4), it can be observed that

9 = 1+1+1+6
9 = 1+1+2+5
9 = 1+1+3+4
9 = 1+2+2+4
9 = 1+2+3+3
9 = 2+2+2+3

Following from here, since there are 6 different ways of expressing this summation,
F(9,4)=6

In the above example, (1+1+1+6) and, for example, (1+6+1+1) are considered to be the same and thus are counted only once.

NOTE: When we consider (1+1+1+6) and (1+6+1+1) to be different ways of summation, for instance, the problem becomes very easy and can be solved by pigeon hole principle. But the tricky part for me is to find a formula which considers the two expressions above and such to amount to the same.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The term you are looking for is "partition". So there's a starting point for you.

Thank you very much adriank !

What is a summation?

A summation is a mathematical operation that adds together a sequence of numbers or terms.

What is the specific summation?

The specific summation refers to a particular mathematical expression that involves adding together a sequence of numbers or terms.

Why is the number of ways to express a specific summation important?

The number of ways to express a specific summation can help in solving complex mathematical problems and can also provide insight into patterns and relationships among numbers.

How do you calculate the number of ways to express a specific summation?

The number of ways to express a specific summation can be calculated using various mathematical techniques, such as combinatorics and generating functions.

Are there any real-life applications for the number of ways to express a specific summation?

Yes, the concept of expressing a specific summation can be applied in various fields such as physics, economics, and computer science to solve real-world problems involving sequences and series of numbers.