TheStatutoryApe said:
When I was in school we had a mandatory health class that taught about proper diet and basic dietary science such as what a calorie is and the difference between simple and complex carbohydrates. As with most classes I doubt many people really paid much attention.
Yes, we had all of that taught when I was in school too. Along with sex ed and other health related issues.
That's if people know how to cook from scratch and, more importantly, know how to cook healthy meals from scratch.
Cost isn't the only issue for people in the lower economic strata. Many people hardly know how to cook unless they were taught by their parents who probably gave little thought to the healthiness of their meals. Many poor families are single parent families where the mother works long hours and possibly even two jobs just to make ends meet and is stressed and exhausted by the time she gets home if she is even able to be home for her kids when they have dinner. And what time they have is usually short so quick and easy meals are preferred.
You can make a quick and easy yet nutritious dinner. We had a lot of those when I was growing up, because when my father was alive, his work schedule could be very unpredictable and my mom often worked overtime too. Then, for a while, it was just my mom and us kids. I learned to cook at a young age so I could start dinner before mom got home (and we'd keep it warm for dad). We had a lot of meals that pretty much consisted of a frozen vegetable boiled (this was before we had a microwave), some type of potato, usually boiled or mashed (rarely, we had rice...I eat a lot of rice now, but my parents were never much into it), and meat either broiled or pan fried with just some basic seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder...add some thyme for chicken). It was very basic, but that's what they could afford. We never had the pantry full of junk food (my aunt did, which is why she and my cousins were always overweight).
But, I think you're right that a lot of people today lack even that most basic skill of cooking a very simple meal, so get a lot of things that are microwaved or take-out.
Do they still teach home-ec in schools? I know a lot of those "elective" courses have disappeared over the years. But, that was a class that taught not just how to balance nutrition, but then how to actually cook the meal. When I was in school, it was a required class. Everyone had to learn a few basics of cooking and sewing (basically, just enough to mend a small tear in a seam or sew on a button, but that's more than a lot of people know). And, we also all had to take shop class, where we all had to learn to use some basic hand and power tools. I think these are important classes to continue, because everyone needs to know how to cook a basic meal, sew on a button, and do some minor repair jobs around the home. They're life skills that every high school graduate should have.