The Observations of the Dark Flow

• Thread starter Edward Solomo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow
In summary, the article discusses how the original observations of a 'dark flow' of galaxies was later found to be incorrect, but there is no current theory that adequately explains the observations.
Edward Solomo
I came across this article from 2008,

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/8...ugging-galaxies-beyond-the-universes-horizon/

I have three questions:

1) Has it been shown as of 2011 that the original observations were wrong and that the Dark Flow as a whole is a false observation (as it would explain the incredible lack of information on the topic)?

2) If not, has this question been resolved as of 2011?

3) Is there at least an untested theory that seems to adequately explain these observations?

If the answers to all three questions are no, then I'm declaring physics as my second major (I am a math major in my junior year) and devoting the rest of my life to solving, even if I only accomplish laying a framework for a greater mind to work from.

Space news on Phys.org
Am I posting in the wrong forum?

It's an interesting question. I find dark flow to be interesting but haven't seen too much info on it. As far as I am aware, it has not been proven to be a false observation or misinterpretation, but there is also no viable theory for what's happening.

I would not be surprised if it IS a false observation or misinterpretation. We've got two "dark"s too many already, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe if we completely understood THEM, then whatever it is that is causing the effects labeled dark flow would be understood. Or, maybe not.

phinds said:
It's an interesting question. I find dark flow to be interesting but haven't seen too much info on it. As far as I am aware, it has not been proven to be a false observation or misinterpretation, but there is also no viable theory for what's happening.

I would not be surprised if it IS a false observation or misinterpretation. We've got two "dark"s too many already, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe if we completely understood THEM, then whatever it is that is causing the effects labeled dark flow would be understood. Or, maybe not.

I just found a thread on the topic, and we appreciate if future (substantive) comments would be redirected here

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=513878

'Dark' just seems to be a convenient label that has no real or intended connection to any other 'darks'. If the higgs particle were postulated today, it might well be known as the dark particle. If dark matter were known as 'zwicky matter', and dark energy as 'einstein energy', perhaps there would be a lot less confusion [just a little dark humor].

What is the Dark Flow?

The Dark Flow is a term used to describe the observation of galaxy clusters moving in the same direction at high speeds that cannot be explained by the known laws of physics.

How is the Dark Flow observed?

The Dark Flow is observed through the measurement of the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) radiation, which is a remnant of the Big Bang. Scientists study the fluctuations in the CMB to detect the movement of galaxy clusters.

What causes the Dark Flow?

The cause of the Dark Flow is still unknown and is a topic of ongoing research. Some theories suggest that it could be the result of the gravitational pull of matter beyond the observable universe, while others propose the existence of a parallel universe.

What implications does the Dark Flow have for our understanding of the universe?

The Dark Flow challenges our current understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to new discoveries about the nature of space and time. It also raises questions about the existence of other universes and the possibility of multi-verse theories.

Is the Dark Flow confirmed by other studies?

The existence of the Dark Flow has been confirmed by multiple studies, including observations from NASA's Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) and the European Space Agency's Planck satellite. However, there is still ongoing research to understand its origin and implications.