The Origin of Me and Bobby McGee

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is explains the beginnings of Kris Kristoffersons's recording career, where Me and Bobbi McGee came from, how Janis Joplin came to record it and her relationship with Kristofferson.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes difalcojr and pinball1970
Science news on Phys.org
That video is very personal and moving. Thanks for posting that. Didn't know about Barbara McKee or story.
1698710622067.png

I saw Big Brother and the Holding Company at the Synanon Street Fair in SF in 1967. Before they released their first album. Sitting up on a hill. https://diva.sfsu.edu/collections/sfbatv/bundles/239403
She was full of energy, really projected it. Sold me right away. Bought the album as soon as it came out. She was wild and a beautiful, free spirit. Thought her best music was with Big Brother too.

Likes BillTre

Likes BillTre
1967 Monterey Pop. Wildness of the times comes through in this music video. Way out of key singing/playing. Album version much better, but Janis Joplin looked great then! Kris thought so too.

Likes BillTre
BillTre said:
This is explains the beginnings of Kris Kristoffersons's recording career, where Me and Bobbi McGee came from, how Janis Joplin came to record it and her relationship with Kristofferson.
Make that Bobby McGee...

difalcojr said:
I saw Big Brother and the Holding Company at the Synanon Street Fair in SF in 1967.
I saw them plus Jefferson Airplane at the Hollywood Bowl 0n September 15 of 1967. I had to look up the date by searching for the events at this venue for that year. Apparently, Grateful Dead were also on the bill, but either they didn't show up or my wife and I showed up after their set.
difalcojr said:
Thought her best music was with Big Brother too.
That's my opinion as well. My most favorite Janis Joplin song is "Take Another Piece of My Heart," (Faith Hill's version is better IMO), and my least favorite song is the one about a Mercedes Benz, when she had gone solo (I think).

It's interesting to note that one of the lines in the MB song is "My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends." As the picture in post #2 shows, Joplin did have a 1964 Porsche 356C, which she had painted by one of the Big Brother roadies. I belong to PCA (Porsche Car Assn.) and by coincidence the current issue has an article about her car and its color scheme. That car is still in existence and recently sold for $1.76 million USD.

• Informative
Likes difalcojr and BillTre
Wow, quite a coincidence with the magazine article. Wonder how the paint job is after all these years?! 1967.

In the song was Bobbi McKee, I think. :smile:

Likes BillTre

1. Who originally wrote "Me and Bobby McGee"?

The song "Me and Bobby McGee" was originally written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.

2. Who first performed "Me and Bobby McGee"?

Roger Miller was the first artist to record "Me and Bobby McGee," releasing his version in 1969.

3. What is the song "Me and Bobby McGee" about?

The song narrates the story of a person's journey and relationship with Bobby McGee. The lyrics explore themes of freedom, love, and loss, culminating in the singer's reminiscence about the good times shared with Bobby, who is eventually lost to them.

4. Which version of "Me and Bobby McGee" is the most famous?

Janis Joplin's rendition of "Me and Bobby McGee" is the most famous version. Released posthumously in 1971, it topped the U.S. singles charts and became one of her most iconic performances.

5. Has "Me and Bobby McGee" been covered by other artists?

Yes, "Me and Bobby McGee" has been covered by numerous artists across different genres, including Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, and Gordon Lightfoot, among others. Each artist brings their unique style to the song, contributing to its enduring popularity.