What is the origin and meaning of the word rocket?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 4K views
Matt-STIPA
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I was wondering if there is an actual definition given by a recognised organisation over what is meant by the word "rocket". In case there is not, I wanted to reflect upon what do we really mean when we say rockets.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think it might matter?
 
I would say it is a vehicle that carries all of its own fuel, and pushes gas out of its engine for propulsion but I don't really know.
 
I think we need to add the oxidiser to the fuel if we are to say it is a rocket.
 
Bandit127 said:
I think we need to add the oxidiser to the fuel if we are to say it is a rocket.
Why does it have to be oxidation? Why does it have to be a chemical reaction?
 
A.T. said:
Why does it have to be oxidation? Why does it have to be a chemical reaction?

Good point! I suppose a cannon could also act as a rocket.
 
Now *this* is a rocket! :biggrin:

http://www.phys.unt.edu/~klittler/demo_room/mech_demos/WaterRocket.jpg
WaterRocket.jpg
 
Hoophy said:
I suppose a cannon could also act as a rocket.
I'm not sure it fits the definition, but maybe that's where the word "Rocket" came from. I understand that Neanderthals did hunt birds by throwing rocks, and they were in the process of developing a primitive language and grammar. It became a common battle cry when they attacked a flock of birds, "Rock It!" :wink:

https://chasingsabretooths.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/neanderthal-throwing-rock.jpg
neanderthal-throwing-rock.jpg
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hoophy
berkeman said:
I'm not sure it fits the definition, but maybe that's where the word :"Rocket" came from. I understand that Neanderthals did hunt birds by throwing rocks, and they were in the process of developing a primitive language and grammar. It became a common battle cry when they attacked a flock of birds, "Rock It!" :wink:

https://chasingsabretooths.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/neanderthal-throwing-rock.jpg
neanderthal-throwing-rock.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what was going through my mind when I said that, perhaps I was thinking of the cannon ball as the reaction mass and the recoil as the reaction. I could have done better. :)
jtbell said:
Why do you think it might matter?
This is a good question.
 
The word *rocket* means Wernher von Braun where I'm from... :biggrin:

SV_zpsj29orhpt.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
Matt-STIPA said:
I was wondering if there is an actual definition given by a recognised organisation over what is meant by the word "rocket". In case there is not, I wanted to reflect upon what do we really mean when we say rockets.
When I was younger we used a thing called a dictionary to answer such questions. Some dictionaries are produced by "recognised organisations". These days you make a few mouse clicks...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hoophy, Mark44 and berkeman
First known use was in 1530.
Origin and Etymology of the word Rocket : Italian rocchetta, literally, small distaff, from diminutive of rocca distaff, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German rocko distaff
Rocket, a firework consisting of a case partly filled with a combustible composition fastened to a guiding stick and propelled through the air by the rearward discharge of the gases liberated by combustion.