The origin of the quantum vacuum?

In summary, the quantum vacuum is the minimal state of energy from which particles pop in and out of existence due to quantum fluctuations. This state of energy was probably present before our universe popped into existence. Scientists are still trying to figure out how the quantum vacuum could have possibly created our universe.
Antignor
Hi,

I've been reading about particle- and quantum physics and have seen some educational video's about it. But I do have a probably philosophical question about it. Most likely based on ignorance (but what question isn't) and false interpretations of what I think to know.

This is what I think to know:
The Quantum Vacuum is the minimal state of energy from which particles pop in and out of existence due to quantum fluctuations (the ultimate instability of the quantum vacuum). "One day", long long time ago, our known universe popped into existence because of such a quantum fluctuation going berserk.

Now my question is:
If the quantum vacuum is not a zero amount of energy, then where does this "minimal" energy level come from?
It sounds like asking "who/what created God". I'm a non-believer, soft-atheist if you like, but still I'd like to know what science knows and "thinks" about this.

Thanks for any reply, links to good reads/video's would be welcome as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anything that cannot be found in textbooks is considered unknown or highly speculative.

BTW the following statement is speculative as well:

"One day", long long time ago, our known universe popped into existence because of such a quantum fluctuation going berserk.

Maui said:
Anything that cannot be found in textbooks is considered unknown or highly speculative.

I wouldn't tell the science journals that!

-Dan Boyce

topsquark said:
Maui said:

I wouldn't tell the science journals that!

-Dan Boyce

Science journals are somewhat speculative as well(even if they were peer-reviewed). There is a time gap between when a finding is discovered and when it goes into textbooks. The finding is first presented to a wider scientific audience for peer-review. If there is an overwhelming consensus on how to interpret the data and how it fits current theories and models and the finding is confirmed multiple times, the finding goes into the textbooks. By far not everything from the science journals makes it to the textbooks.

The findings and theories in science journals are more speculative than the ones found in textbooks. Theories in textbooks come closest to being facts(without really being facts, though). You need hundreds, if not thousands of conclusive experimental trials to have a theory in a textbook.

Last edited:
I've been waiting for any other input, but so far there wasn't. But from what I can read from the current replies, everything about the origins of our known universe is speculative.
As far as I know the Quantum vacuum is not speculative. Eg. the reflection of light wouldn't be possible if photons and the matter it reflects from wouldn't exchange a particle that's created out of the quantum vacuum and then disappears into non-existence again. or is that also speculation?
And about the creation story. According to various physicists, like V. Stenger, it's very well explainable that our universe is no more than the consequence of a a quantum fluctuation, and some time ago I read that in fact http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16095-its-confirmed-matter-is-merely-vacuum-fluctuations.html" because of the gluons appearing and disappearing again.

So maybe a better question would be: Could the quantum vacuum be created with the universe, or was it possibly "there" already before?

I'm hoping for an enlightening explanation ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the quantum vacuum?

The quantum vacuum, also known as the vacuum state, is the lowest possible energy state of a quantum mechanical system. It is the state in which all matter and energy are absent, and only quantum fluctuations exist.

2. How did the quantum vacuum originate?

The origin of the quantum vacuum is still a subject of debate and research in the scientific community. Some theories suggest that it has always existed, while others propose that it emerged from the Big Bang or as a result of inflation in the early universe.

3. What is the significance of the quantum vacuum in physics?

The quantum vacuum plays a crucial role in many phenomena and theories in physics, such as quantum electrodynamics, the Casimir effect, and the Higgs mechanism. It also provides a framework for understanding the behavior of particles and fields at the quantum level.

4. Can the quantum vacuum be observed or measured?

No, the quantum vacuum cannot be directly observed or measured. Its effects can be observed through experiments and calculations, but it is not possible to directly measure the vacuum state itself.

5. How does the quantum vacuum differ from the classical vacuum?

The classical vacuum, or empty space, is described as having no matter or energy present. In contrast, the quantum vacuum is a state of constant quantum fluctuations and virtual particles. Additionally, the classical vacuum is considered to be a stable, unchanging state, while the quantum vacuum is constantly fluctuating and evolving.