1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Parity Operator: Find the average value of the parity.

1. Apr 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of mass m moves in the potential energy V(x)= [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] mω2x2
    . The ground-state wave function is
    [itex]\psi[/itex]0(x)=([itex]\frac{a}{π}[/itex])1/4e-ax2/2
    and the first excited-state wave function is
    [itex]\psi[/itex]1(x)=([itex]\frac{4a^3}{π}[/itex])1/4e-ax2/2
    where a = mω/[itex]\hbar[/itex]

What is the average value of the parity for the state

ψ(x)=[itex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex][itex]\psi[/itex]0(x)+ [itex]\frac{1-i}{2\sqrt{2}}[/itex][itex]\psi[/itex]1(x)

2. Relevant equations

∏[itex]\psi[/itex](x)=[itex]\psi[/itex](-x)
    ∏[itex]\psi[/itex]λ(x) = [itex]\psi[/itex]λ(x)

3. The attempt at a solution

First off I'm extremely confused on how to approach this to the point of where I don't know what I'm solving for so I'm someone can help me understand the problem and what it's asking me to do.

I just finished reading the parity operator section and all I understand was that ∏ inverts the coordinates of the wave function. I also got that ∏^2 is the identity vector which means that the eigenvalues have to be ±1 and that an even eigenfunction corresponds to 1 while an odd function corresponds to -1 and The eigenfunction of the parity operator form a complete set. That's it from the book but it shows no examples or anything remotely close to what this questions asks.

Am I trying to solve for ∏? Why are the ground state and first state included in this problem? Please help. Anything will be helpful.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your expression for ##\psi_1(x)## is incorrect. There should be a factor of x in there.

You're being asked to find ##\langle \psi | \hat{\Pi} | \psi \rangle ##.

Think about how you'd calculate the average energy ##\langle \psi | \hat{H} | \psi \rangle ## of the state. You're being asked to do the same sort of calculation except this time with the parity operator instead of the Hamiltonian.

Hint: The energy eigenstates of the harmonic oscillator are also parity eigenstates.

4. Oct 31, 2013 #3
    Use Expansion Coefficients

First off, ##\psi##0 and ##\psi##1 are eigenfunctions of [itex]\Psi[/itex]. You can see their expansion coefficients given in the equation for [itex]\Psi[/itex], I will refer to these as cn

The average value of the parity, or <[itex]\Pi[/itex]> will be Ʃ|cn|2an, where the a's are the eigenvalues of the given eigenfunctions.

To find the eigenvalues use [itex]\prod\psi = a\psi[/itex]

This should simplify the problem quite a bit -- it's actually very straightforward if you approach it this way, and you don't have to deal with any messy integrals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted