1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The perfect spot between the Earth and the Moon

1. Mar 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There exists a spaceship orbiting between the Moon and the Earth. Find the perfect spot where the gravity due to Earth is equal to the one caused by the Moon. I have already solved for the ratio ## \frac {R_E}{\sqrt{M_E}} = \frac {R_M}{\sqrt{M_M}} ##. ## R_E ## is the distance between the spaceship and the Earth while ##R_M## represents the distance between the ship and the Moon. Likewise ##M_M## and ##M_E## are masses. The next step in my solutions guide is ## R_E = \frac {(R_E + R_M)\sqrt{M_E}}{\sqrt{M_E}+\sqrt{M_M}} ##. I don't understand how they got to that.

2. Relevant equations
    1) Correct answer ## = R_E = 3.46 * 10^8 ## meters
    2) Mass of the Moon ##=7.347*10^22##
    3) Mass of the Earth ##=5.98*10^24##
    4) Distance between Moon and Earth ##= R_E + R_M = 3.844*10^8##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using ratio I solved for in "The problem statement, all..." I tried to isolate ##R_E##
    ##R_E = \frac{R_M\sqrt{M_E}}{\sqrt{M_M}} ##
    From 4) from part 2 "Relevant equa..." I get that ##R_M = 3.844*10^8 - R_E##
    Therefore ##R_E = \frac{(3.844*10^8 - R_E)\sqrt{M_E}}{\sqrt{M_M}} ##
    Thus ##R_E = (3.844*10^8)(\frac{\sqrt{M_E}}{\sqrt{M_M}}) - R_E(\frac{\sqrt{M_E}}{\sqrt{M_M}}) ##
    ##R_E + R_E(\frac{\sqrt{M_E}}{\sqrt{M_M}}) = (3.844*10^8)(\frac{\sqrt{M_E}}{\sqrt{M_M}}) ##
    ##R_E(1+(\frac{\sqrt{M_E}}{\sqrt{M_M}})) = (3.844*10^8)(\frac{\sqrt{M_E}}{\sqrt{M_M}}) ##
    ##R_E = \frac{(3.844*10^8)(\frac{\sqrt{M_E}}{\sqrt{M_M}})}{1+(\frac{\sqrt{M_E}}{\sqrt{M_M}})}##
    While I did get the correct answer, my equation is so complicated. How do I turn it into the one given by the solutions manual?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2015 #2
    Latex refuses to load for some reason... Any solutions? Thanks everyone.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  4. Mar 24, 2015 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Apart from using that specific number instead of ##R_E+R_M##, there is nothing different about your solution. All you have to do is multiply top and bottom by ##\sqrt{M_M}## to get the book answer.

5. Mar 24, 2015 #4
    Now I see it! Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted