The perihelion precession of Jupiter

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Bjarne
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jupiter Precession
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 11K views
Bjarne
Messages
344
Reaction score
0
One complete orbit of perihelion precession of Earth takes about 100,000 years
How long time take one complete orbit of the perihelion precession Jupiter ?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I wrote above that; One complete orbit of perihelion precession of Earth takes about 100,000 years , - but I think this is wrong, - it is only about 23,000 years, right ?
 
Bjarne said:
I wrote above that; One complete orbit of perihelion precession of Earth takes about 100,000 years , - but I think this is wrong, - it is only about 23,000 years, right ?

No, you were right the first time (112,000 yrs to be more exact.) 23,000 yrs is closer to the precession of the equinoxes, which is due to the Earth wobbling on its axis.
 
What about perihelion precession of Venus and Mars ?
And perigee precession of satelites ?
( I believe the perigee precession of the Moon is about 1 year ?)
 
Bjarne said:
What about perihelion precession of Venus and Mars ?
And perigee precession of satelites ?
( I believe the perigee precession of the Moon is about 1 year ?)

Here: this wll give you the precession rates for all the planet's:

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/txt/aprx_pos_planets.pdf

The perigee precession ofthe Moon is slightly less than 9 yrs.
 
Are you talking about orbit precession? In that case, it's some complicated loop the loops:

J. Laskar
"Secular evolution of the Solar System over 10 million years"
Astronomy and Astrophysics, 198, 341-362 (1988).
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1988A&A...198..341L

I've made videos for YouTube of that precession:
http://www.youtube.com/my_playlists?p=D0825FC30A2F00A6
http://www.youtube.com/my_playlists?p=86F2CCA7F3F677ED

Eccentricity cycle periods (years)
E1 232721
E2 173831
E3 74582
E4 72315
E5 305020
E6 45901
E7 422219
E8 1943320

Inclination cycle periods (years)
II -231251
I2 -183752
I3 -68754
I4 -72967
I5 oo -- the invariable plane (conservation of angular momentum)
I6 -49221
I7 -434113
I8 -1873645

Negative means backward precession, like spin-axis precession

The biggest terms for Jupiter's eccentricity:
0.0441 E5
0.0157 E6
0.0018 E7

So Jupiter's perihelion precesses forward with a period of about 305,000 years, with a back-and-forth wobble with a period of 54,000 years. Its eccentricity also oscillates with that wobble period.

Not surprisingly, Saturn is the main perturber of Jupiter's motion.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What about perihelion precession of Mercury? How many years does that take?
(I don't understand how to calculate this according to the link above)