Share Your Dog Stories and Photos: What Breed is Your Favorite?

In summary, sharing dog stories and photos allows dog lovers to connect and celebrate their favorite breeds. Whether it's the loyalty of a Golden Retriever or the spunk of a Dachshund, each breed has its own unique qualities that make them beloved by their owners. Through sharing these stories and photos, we can appreciate the diversity and love that dogs bring into our lives. So, let's continue to share and celebrate our favorite dog breeds!
Tell me about your dogs, favorite breeds and share a photo!

Here is my 4 year old hound Penny

penny.png

Attachments

• penny.png
    penny.png
    140.1 KB · Views: 1,405
Likes AVBs2Systems, Astronuc, activist in the know and 7 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Our two dogs playing -- Lupin on left, and Dylan on right. Dylan (or Dillie) passed on about three years ago. Lupin is 12 1/2, so she might not be with us much longer, either. Both dogs are mutts -- Shar Pei + ?? for Lupin, and beagle + black lab?? for Dylan.
Dillie&Lupin.jpg

My wife Pam with Dylan at Lolo Pass, Montana, a few years back, before we had Lupin full-time.
Pam&Dillie.jpg

Attachments

• Dillie&Lupin.jpg
    Dillie&Lupin.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 914
  • Pam&Dillie.jpg
    Pam&Dillie.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 842
Likes activist in the know, Grands, Evo and 3 others
Mark44 said:
Both dogs are mutts -- Shar Pei + ?? for Lupin, and beagle + black lab?
Lupin looks high energy! Both seem like sweethearts!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Lupin looks high energy!
Not so much any more. She used to be, but at age 12 - 1/2, with arthritis and possibly hip dysplasia, she gets tired just walking down to the end of our block and back.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Both seem like sweethearts!
Lupin is the sweetheart. Dylan could be a bit testy at times. I was very sad when he died.

It's a shame that their lives are so short in comparison to our lifespans. My thought is that we should consider these animals as gifts that are given to us for a relatively short period, and take care of them and love them while they are with us.

Likes Astronuc, davenn and Greg Bernhardt
When I was 7 years old, my parents got us a beautiful half-black Lab, half-German Shepherd named Sam. He had lived until he was 14, when sadly due to severe illness we had to put him to sleep. :'(

I'll post a picture here once I find one and scan it in.

Likes activist in the know and Greg Bernhardt
Raven and Scarlet
Raven and Scarlet copy.jpg

Attachments

• Raven and Scarlet copy.jpg
    Raven and Scarlet copy.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 845
Likes Astronuc, activist in the know, Grands and 3 others
Unfortunately since living in Australia ( last 18 yrs) it's all been rental accommodation and no pets allowed

my last dog was Sarah, a lab cross. A birthday present to me when she was only a few weeks old
She lasted 13 years before succumbing to stomach cancer :cry:
Still brings tears to this old guys' eye thinking about it
A wonderful pet and companion, was great with the kids as they were growing up
She was just totally treated as another child :smile:

She was probably around 7 - 8 yrs old in this pic.

sarah-jpg-jpg.jpg

Dave

Attachments

• sarah-jpg-jpg.jpg
    sarah-jpg-jpg.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 787
Likes collinsmark, pinball1970, Astronuc and 8 others
Greg Bernhardt said:
A dot and a dob? :)

Raven is a young black Dobermann (not even a year old yet). Scarlet is a six year old red Dobermann. :)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I just saw a bear-looking one! ... What's it called? Or was it actually a bear? Ouooops ...

jim mcnamara said:
@Stavros Kiri - Akita maybe?
Perhaps. I will ask and find out next time I go to the same place where I saw it today. That "thing" doesn't go anywhere! (it was securely fastened)
I wish I took a picture, but it was snowing, my hands cold, and low on gas and all batteries on my photo app devices that I usually have with me (weird coincidence today). I didn't even stop. Next time I will.

P.S. the look and size was indeed that of a small bear! ... It could still even be one! I hope to find out and still make it back at PF! ... :H

Last edited:
What kind of dog is that?
Looks like a brown bulked up akita.
I hope its full grown!

Likes Stavros Kiri
BillTre said:
What kind of dog is that?
Looks like a brown bulked up akita.
I hope its full grown!
American akita though, perhaps.

Kind of looks like the one I saw (berkeman's picture looks closer), but not quite. Still searching ...

berkeman said:
Maybe this one (the dog, not the human)?

https://blazepress.com/.image/t_share/MTM1NjQ2Nzk4OTExMDMxMzA2/dogs-puppy-look-like-bears-12jpg.jpg
May be with a little less hair ... . I don't know if it's american akita though.

6. Tibetan Mastiff

bear-like-dog-breeds-tibetan-mastiff.jpg

Tibetan Mastiff is a large Tibetan dog breed, which is still used by the local tribes of many places to protect their sheep from the wolves, tiger and leopards. Their coats are very dense and heavy, their huge heads are what gives them their distinctive bear-like appearance.
See http://idogfun.com/tag/bear-like-dogs/(iDogFun.comTag: Bear-like Dogs
bear-like-dog-breeds-featured.jpg

http://idogfun.com/2017/03/31/these-6-popular-breeds-of-dogs-look-really-like-bears/ ...
[1. Akita, 2. Poodle, 3. Alaskan Malamute
4. Chow Chow

bear-like-dog-breeds-chow-chow.jpg

5. Newfoundland Dog

bear-like-dog-breeds-newfoundland-dog.jpg

The Newfoundland Dog is one of the tallest dog breeds, they are known for being gentle, sweet-tempered, and easily trained. They are covered with thick water-resistant coats, this makes them look like bears. They can be seen in a wide range of different colours including black, brown and grey.

6. Tibetan Mastiff

])

May be that was it. But I don't know where they found it. I'd be curious to talk to the owners ...

Attachments

• bear-like-dog-breeds-tibetan-mastiff.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,463
  • bear-like-dog-breeds-featured.jpg
    bear-like-dog-breeds-featured.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 800
  • bear-like-dog-breeds-chow-chow.jpg
    bear-like-dog-breeds-chow-chow.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 829
  • bear-like-dog-breeds-newfoundland-dog.jpg
    bear-like-dog-breeds-newfoundland-dog.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 2,905
  • bear-like-dog-breeds-tibetan-mastiff.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 988
Last edited:
Likes Grands and BillTre
My dog had puppies right before we adopted her and we're in contact with one of the owners. They recently did a DNA breed test. Here are the results. We don't know anything directly about the father. However, given this data about the puppy of my dog, what can we infer about my dog and the mystery papa? Any math or genetic logic we can use? @jim mcnamara @Ryan_m_b @Ygggdrasil

dog1.png
dog2.png

Attachments

• dog2.png
    dog2.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 727
  • dog1.png
    dog1.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 758
Likes BillTre and Stavros Kiri
You report is telling you that papa was a hybrid, ½ foxhound & ½ coonhound. Mama was not. BTW That kind of Ancestry report way cool.

I'm not sure what you want to do with that fraction. Based on a friend's experience with a foxhound you should look at getting a dog treadmill or a huge backyard -- if you want to have and keep overstuffed furniture anywhere in the house

Likes BillTre and Greg Bernhardt
jim mcnamara said:
You report is telling you that papa was a hybrid, ½ foxhound & ½ coonhound. Mama was not.
Maybe I am being daft, but are you saying we can't figure out what my mama dog is?

One parent was purebred, the other was a half-and-half. I assumed pop was on the right hand side of nifty picture. How did you get the dog to spit in one of those tiny ancestry.com vials :wideeyed:

Likes SammyS, Stavros Kiri and Greg Bernhardt
jim mcnamara said:
How did you get the dog to spit in one of those tiny ancestry.com vials

I've always wanted to send human DNA to the doggie DNA places, or maybe vice versa. See what comes back.

Likes Evo, Astronuc and Krushnaraj Pandya
It would be interesting to know how many markers they used in the analysis. Since the results are exactly 25-75, it could have been as few as 4 markers (I doubt that though).

The Ancestry interpretation is the most straightforward, but many other lineages could also explain the results, such as:
parent A: 12.5% coonhound; 87.5% foxhound
parent B: 37.5% coonhound; 62.5% foxhound
Knowledge of the genetics of one parent would constrain the likely genetics of the other, but not entirely.

The general rule is to add up the percentages of the parents and then divide them by 2 to get the percentages of the offspring.
Or working backwards, in this case, to go from the offspring to the combined genetic percentages of the parents:
25% coonhound x 2 = 50%; 75% foxhound x 2 = 150%
Any combination of parental genetics that would equal 50% coonhound and 150% foxhound would work in this case.

However, these would not be exact calculations, since the recombination (crossovers) and the sorting of chromosomes are both random and would affect the exact parental source a progeny would inherit from each parent in each generation. Taking advantages of these random effects is the basis of genetic tricks, such as marker-assisted breeding techniques, used for things like speeding up crossing a particular gene into an inbred genetic background by several generations. Parents with the highest or lowest percentages of a particular background are selected for breeding, using molecular techniques, in each generation. Here is an example.

Thus, there are many possible ways to trade off one percentage for the other and an even wider array of parental percentages could, through the random effects, give the results described above.

Likes activist in the know, Stavros Kiri, jim mcnamara and 1 other person
Here is a picture of the dog (Startrek) I have had, which I liked the most (long deceased, seen as a puppy).
Along with my son and young me on top of Mount Pisgah in Eugene (probably taken in the 1990's) .
Startrek (the dog) was some kind of lab/rottweiler mix and has a great personality.
Billy, Startrek, BT copy.jpg

Attachments

• Billy, Startrek, BT copy.jpg
    Billy, Startrek, BT copy.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 734
Likes Astronuc, activist in the know, davenn and 4 others
My current babies...My wifes 10 yr old Cocker (who acts like she is a puppy) and my 14 yr old Pointer (we think he has some pit bull in him because he is much stockier than a normal purebred).

IMG_0279.JPG
IMG_0281.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0279.JPG
    IMG_0279.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 626
  • IMG_0281.JPG
    IMG_0281.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 675
Likes Astronuc, activist in the know, collinsmark and 2 others
Ok here is the pack. The bigger white dog is Ricochet, aka Ricky going on 13. The brown dog is Mea, 12yr, the torty is Galinda, 11yr. And finaly the light colored Chihuahua is our grand Puppy, Betina

Attachments

• DSC_0882.JPG
    DSC_0882.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 495
  • DSC_0930.JPG
    DSC_0930.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 470
  • Galinda.jpg
    Galinda.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 471
  • mea.JPG
    mea.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 475
Likes Astronuc, activist in the know, collinsmark and 2 others
Oh yeah, Ricky is a Papillon, Mea a Papillon Chihuahua mix, Galinda is a Chihuahua Pomeranian mix. Little Betina is all Chihuahua.

Integral said:
Oh yeah, Ricky is a Papillon, Mea a Papillon Chihuahua mix, Galinda is a Chihuahua Pomeranian mix. Little Betina is all Chihuahua.
ADORABLE!

Likes Stavros Kiri
berkeman said:
Maybe this one (the dog, not the human)?
next year's humor award is pre-booked

Likes Stavros Kiri
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
berkeman said:
the dog, not the human
I don't know about berkeman but I like the human better! ...

This is me, learning my alphabet. I have trouble with the "X"
upload_2019-1-3_11-55-20.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-3_11-55-20.png
    upload_2019-1-3_11-55-20.png
    105.7 KB · Views: 523
Likes member 587159, Evo, Bystander and 4 others
My Penny looking festive!

49348461_979127374267_1214871494409060352_n.jpg

Attachments

• 49348461_979127374267_1214871494409060352_n.jpg
    49348461_979127374267_1214871494409060352_n.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 743
Likes member 587159, Evo, Astronuc and 2 others
A 10 yr old collie called Floss and a 6yr old German Shepard called Thor. I also have 2 llamas called Lawrence and Dave but I couldn't find the share your llamas thread.
20180326_204412.jpeg
Screenshot_20190108-171700_AquaMail.jpeg

Attachments

• 20180326_204412.jpeg
    20180326_204412.jpeg
    21.5 KB · Views: 729
  • Screenshot_20190108-171700_AquaMail.jpeg
    Screenshot_20190108-171700_AquaMail.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 725
Likes Evo, Stavros Kiri, Greg Bernhardt and 1 other person
Greg Bernhardt said:
My Penny looking festive!

View attachment 236742
I thought that was a dog thread! ... :smile::biggrin:

Anthony Beckwith said:
A 10 yr old collie called Floss and a 6yr old German Shepard called Thor. I also have 2 llamas called Lawrence and Dave but I couldn't find the share your llamas thread.View attachment 236981View attachment 236984
Your dog looks just like a dog I had, would do same bent paw thing sometimes too.

122%201_zpsitrnhqec.jpg~original

Likes Evo and Anthony Beckwith
I'm quite impressed with this Saturday Night Live video production.