The Phillies game isn't on local TV today, it's only on MLB tv.

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game Local
In summary: Not all that uncommon, Moonie! I used to take clients fishing, skiing, etc (we don't have any major sports teams in Maine) and many of them preferred to hang out, enjoying food and drinks and chatting to one another instead of engaging in the activity that (supposedly) brought us together. Stephen King (yeah, that guy!) owns a couple of radio stations here in Maine and every once in a while he puts up his dugout box seats at the Fenway up as prizes for some contest on the stations. Skybox? Pshaw!In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration with blackouts of local sports games and the impact of capitalism on this issue. The conversation also touches on the idea
russ_watters
Mentor
The Phillies game isn't on local TV today, it's only on MLB tv. That's just not right. Americans should not have to live this way.

Physics news on Phys.org
The infamous local black out, eh?

That's capitalism at work, Russ, not communism. Black-outs are driven by revenue.

Same thing for many games on the NFL network... which in my area requires cable digital package with the sports package with HDTV :cry:

Ha, team sports suck, soccer being the exception...Americans put way too much emphasis on this crap, IMO.

binzing said:
Ha, team sports suck, soccer being the exception...Americans put way too much emphasis on this crap, IMO.

Now I'm wondering how I could convince my local stations to force all the sports onto cable channels. :devil: Oh, wait, they'd probably fill in the time slot with another reality show. :yuck:

turbo-1 said:
That's capitalism at work, Russ, not communism. Black-outs are driven by revenue.

Strange, I remember many blackouts from my childhood, I don't recall seeing capitalism in this part of the world then ;)

In the US, the sports franchises support black-outs because they don't want locals to see the games for free. The franchises want to sell the broadcast rights to cable carriers and/or force fans to attend the games, pay for tickets, and buy food, drink, and trinkets at ridiculously inflated prices. The motivation in Poland may have been different, but I doubt it.

turbo-1 said:
In the US, the sports franchises support black-outs because they don't want locals to see the games for free. The franchises want to sell the broadcast rights to cable carriers and/or force fans to attend the games, pay for tickets, and buy food, drink, and trinkets at ridiculously inflated prices. The motivation in Poland may have been different, but I doubt it.

When taxpayer money isn't helping fund these ballparks, they can restrict viewing any way they want. As long as taxes help fund them, though, they should be REQUIRED to televise the games over networks freely available to the public. If the pay channels don't like that arrangement, let THEM fund the parks and take them off the taxpayer payroll.

Moonbear said:
When taxpayer money isn't helping fund these ballparks, they can restrict viewing any way they want. As long as taxes help fund them, though, they should be REQUIRED to televise the games over networks freely available to the public. If the pay channels don't like that arrangement, let THEM fund the parks and take them off the taxpayer payroll.
But the point is for the public (taxpayers) pay at the gate so the owners of the park pay back the bonds, and make a big profit. So the taxpayers pay themselves back. Brilliant!

But was the Phillie's stadium financed with taxpayer money?

Astronuc said:
But the point is for the public (taxpayers) pay at the gate so the owners of the park pay back the bonds, and make a big profit. So the taxpayers pay themselves back. Brilliant!

But was the Phillie's stadium financed with taxpayer money?

I don't know if that stadium is taxpayer funded. If it is, it should show the games free. If not, then fine, let them make any business arrangement they want.

I don't think showing a game on TV stops people from going to the ballpark. It's a totally different experience to watch live at the ballpark than to watch on TV (TV puts on commercials for the boring parts :rolleyes:).

Moonbear said:
I don't think showing a game on TV stops people from going to the ballpark. It's a totally different experience to watch live at the ballpark than to watch on TV (TV puts on commercials for the boring parts :rolleyes:).
What you do is go to the ballpark, then watch it on closed circuit tv in your private skybox while you are fed gourmet food by waiters. (yes, it's good to have friends with skyboxes). :rofl:

Evo said:
What you do is go to the ballpark, then watch it on closed circuit tv in your private skybox while you are fed gourmet food by waiters. (yes, it's good to have friends with skyboxes). :rofl:

I haven't gone that fancy yet, but I did go to a game once where we had a private section and all-you-can-eat hot dogs (with all the fixins) and beer (we had our own private "bartender"). I watched maybe 5 min of the game before spending the rest of the day hanging around the food and drinks and talking with everyone else getting food and drinks and not watching the game. I couldn't even tell you which team won. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
I haven't gone that fancy yet, but I did go to a game once where we had a private section and all-you-can-eat hot dogs (with all the fixins) and beer (we had our own private "bartender"). I watched maybe 5 min of the game before spending the rest of the day hanging around the food and drinks and talking with everyone else getting food and drinks and not watching the game. I couldn't even tell you which team won. :rofl:
Not all that uncommon, Moonie! I used to take clients fishing, skiing, etc (we don't have any major sports teams in Maine) and many of them preferred to hang out, enjoying food and drinks and chatting to one another instead of engaging in the activity that (supposedly) brought us together. Stephen King (yeah, that guy!) owns a couple of radio stations here in Maine and every once in a while he puts up his dugout box seats at the Fenway up as prizes for some contest on the stations. Skybox? Pshaw!

1. Why isn't the Phillies game on local TV today?

The Phillies game may not be on local TV today because it is being broadcast exclusively on MLB TV. This means that the game is only available to watch on the MLB TV streaming service, rather than on local television channels.

2. How come I can't find the Phillies game on my local TV channels?

If you are unable to find the Phillies game on your local TV channels, it is likely because it is only being shown on MLB TV. This means that it is not being broadcast on any traditional television channels and can only be watched through the MLB TV streaming service.

3. Do I need a subscription to MLB TV to watch the Phillies game?

Yes, a subscription to MLB TV is required to watch the Phillies game if it is only being shown on that platform. MLB TV is a paid streaming service that allows viewers to watch live, out-of-market baseball games.

4. Can I watch the Phillies game on local TV if I live in a different market?

No, if you live in a different market than the one where the game is being played, it is unlikely that it will be shown on your local TV channels. However, you may still be able to watch it on MLB TV if you have a subscription.

5. Will the Phillies game be available to watch on local TV at a later time?

It is possible that the Phillies game may be broadcast on local TV at a later time, especially for games that are not being played in the team's home market. However, if the game is being shown exclusively on MLB TV, it will not be available to watch on local TV at any time.