The Physics of Consciousness by Dr. Evan Harris Walker

In summary, the conversation discusses a book on quantum mechanics that may be presenting experimental results in a distorted way and is not recommended for understanding the subject. The person is looking for a resource to learn about quantum mechanics without the influence of a specific theory and without incorporating consciousness into it. It is mentioned that mainstream scientists do not misrepresent QM and the forum is meant for discussing mainstream science.
Rnnat
What are your opinions on this book? I know that many physicists like to present even the experimental results of quantum mechanics in a distorted way; does this book do so?

All I am looking for is a resource where I can learn, in layman's terms for now, about quantum mechanics. I don't want to learn about the theory, I don't want the theory the author prescribes to to influence his/her description of the experiments. All I am looking for is a description of the experiments so that I can personally and critically examine current theories.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect the book, based on the little I've read about it, is pure bunk.

Point is, if you are interested in Quantum Mechanics, leave consciousness out of it. QM does not require consciousness.

EDIT: and by the way, mainstream scientists do not misrepresent QM and this forum is about mainstream science.

phinds said:
I suspect the book, based on the little I've read about it, is pure bunk.

Point is, if you are interested in Quantum Mechanics, leave consciousness out of it. QM does not require consciousness.

EDIT: and by the way, mainstream scientists do not misrepresent QM and this forum is about mainstream science.

What phinds said. For purposes of understanding modern quantum mechanics (and that's what Physics forums is about) the book is useless.

[the follow-on discussion has been moved into another thread, so this one can be closed]

1. What is the main concept of "The Physics of Consciousness"?

The main concept of "The Physics of Consciousness" by Dr. Evan Harris Walker is the idea that consciousness is a fundamental aspect of the universe that can be explained and understood through the laws of physics.

2. How does Dr. Walker approach the topic of consciousness?

Dr. Walker approaches the topic of consciousness from a scientific perspective, using principles of quantum mechanics and thermodynamics to explain the nature of consciousness and its relationship to the physical world.

3. What are some key ideas discussed in "The Physics of Consciousness"?

Some key ideas discussed in "The Physics of Consciousness" include the concept of quantum coherence as a possible explanation for consciousness, the role of entropy in the brain and consciousness, and the potential for consciousness to have an impact on the physical world.

4. What makes "The Physics of Consciousness" a unique contribution to the study of consciousness?

One of the unique aspects of "The Physics of Consciousness" is the integration of principles from quantum mechanics and thermodynamics to explain consciousness, which sets it apart from other theories and perspectives on the topic.

5. Is "The Physics of Consciousness" a widely accepted theory?

The concept of consciousness as explained by Dr. Walker in "The Physics of Consciousness" is still a topic of debate and is not yet widely accepted in the scientific community. However, it has sparked interest and further research in the field of consciousness studies.