1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The ratio between gravitational force of planet x and y

1. Nov 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Planet X has a radius double of Planet Y. Planet X also has a mass that is double planet Y. How do the surface gravitational fields of X and Y compare?

2. Relevant equations
    g=GM/R

3. The attempt at a solution
    So because were looking for the ratio of gx to gy, we can use the equation gx = n(gy) and say that n = gx/gy. So since Planet X has a radius double of Planet Y, we can say that Rx = 2Ry. Also we can say that Mx = 2My. So this turns out to be (2MyG/2Ry) / (MyG/Ry) = n. So this becomes 2MyGRy/2RyMyG = n. Cancelling out Ry, My, and G leaving 2/2 = n. This would say that gx = gy ? Does this make sense to say that at different masses and radii the planets have equal gravitational force?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2012 #2
    Shouldn't R be squared?

4. Nov 10, 2012 #3
    No, that would be the force of gravity between two objects, g = GMm/r^2. This is just the force of gravity the object exerts, or gravitational field i guess

5. Nov 10, 2012 #4
    G= γMm/r^2, on the other hand G=mg
    so mg= γMm/r^2
    g=γM/r^2

6. Nov 10, 2012 #5
    oh i see, you were right, the R is squared. LOL thank you very much, i appreciate it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook