Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The rigid rotator and Angular momentum.

1. Jun 2, 2014 #1
    If spherical harmonics are simultaneous eigenfunctions of [itex]\hat{L}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{L}_{z}[/itex], then that means for a state at which l=1, and where you have three possible values of m (1, 0 , -1) that the value of L and L[itex]_{z}[/itex] cannot really be determined simultaneously. Because the three fold degeneracy of the state implies that the rigid rotator exists in a three dimensional subspace with the eigenkets given by the three spherical harmonics determined by l=1. Is this true, or am I getting something wrong? My textbook says that they can be determined simultaneously, but I'm pretty sure this is only true if the particle exists in a state given by one of the eigen-kets of the degenerate subspace.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I've having a hard time understanding your argument here. But the rotation of a rigid rotor is described by [itex]\hat{L}^2[/itex], and since [itex]\hat{L}^2[/itex] and [itex]\hat{L}_z[/itex] commute, it is always possible to measure both ##l## and ##m##. That said, if the system is in a superposition of different ##m## states, with the same value of ##l##, then of course upon measurement only a single value of ##m## will be obtained and the rotor will "collapse" to that particular ##l,m## state, which does not affect the possibility of measuring ##l## independently.

4. Jun 2, 2014 #3
    yeah. that makes sense. I was confusing myself. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook