The rigid rotator and Angular momentum.

In summary, if spherical harmonics are simultaneous eigenfunctions of \hat{L} and \hat{L}_{z}, then it is possible to measure both the angular momentum and its component simultaneously. However, in cases where the system is in a superposition of different m states with the same value of l, the measurement will collapse the system to a specific l,m state, but this does not affect the possibility of measuring l independently.
siddharth5129
If spherical harmonics are simultaneous eigenfunctions of [itex]\hat{L}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{L}_{z}[/itex], then that means for a state at which l=1, and where you have three possible values of m (1, 0 , -1) that the value of L and L[itex]_{z}[/itex] cannot really be determined simultaneously. Because the three fold degeneracy of the state implies that the rigid rotator exists in a three dimensional subspace with the eigenkets given by the three spherical harmonics determined by l=1. Is this true, or am I getting something wrong? My textbook says that they can be determined simultaneously, but I'm pretty sure this is only true if the particle exists in a state given by one of the eigen-kets of the degenerate subspace.

Physics news on Phys.org
siddharth5129 said:
If spherical harmonics are simultaneous eigenfunctions of [itex]\hat{L}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{L}_{z}[/itex], then that means for a state at which l=1, and where you have three possible values of m (1, 0 , -1) that the value of L and L[itex]_{z}[/itex] cannot really be determined simultaneously. Because the three fold degeneracy of the state implies that the rigid rotator exists in a three dimensional subspace with the eigenkets given by the three spherical harmonics determined by l=1.
I've having a hard time understanding your argument here. But the rotation of a rigid rotor is described by [itex]\hat{L}^2[/itex], and since [itex]\hat{L}^2[/itex] and [itex]\hat{L}_z[/itex] commute, it is always possible to measure both ##l## and ##m##. That said, if the system is in a superposition of different ##m## states, with the same value of ##l##, then of course upon measurement only a single value of ##m## will be obtained and the rotor will "collapse" to that particular ##l,m## state, which does not affect the possibility of measuring ##l## independently.

yeah. that makes sense. I was confusing myself. Thanks.

1. What is the rigid rotator and how does it relate to angular momentum?

The rigid rotator is a theoretical model used in physics to describe the rotational motion of a rigid body. It is often used to study the behavior of molecules, such as diatomic molecules. Angular momentum is the measure of an object's rotational motion, and it is closely related to the rigid rotator as it describes how the body rotates around a fixed axis.

2. How is the angular momentum of a rigid rotator calculated?

The angular momentum of a rigid rotator can be calculated using the equation L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia of the rigid body, and ω is the angular velocity. The moment of inertia is a measure of the object's resistance to rotational motion and depends on the mass and distribution of the object's mass.

3. What is the significance of the quantization of angular momentum in the rigid rotator?

The quantization of angular momentum in the rigid rotator means that the angular momentum can only take on discrete values, rather than any arbitrary value. This is due to the nature of quantum mechanics, which states that certain physical quantities, such as angular momentum, can only exist in discrete, quantized states. This has important implications in understanding the behavior of molecules and other small particles.

4. How does the rigid rotator model apply to real-world systems?

The rigid rotator model is a simplified theoretical model that is used to study the rotational motion of rigid bodies. While it may not perfectly describe real-world systems, it can still provide valuable insights and predictions about the behavior of objects in rotational motion. In addition, it can be used as a starting point for more complex models that take into account other factors, such as non-rigid bodies and external forces.

5. Can the rigid rotator model be extended to systems with multiple rigid bodies?

Yes, the rigid rotator model can be extended to systems with multiple rigid bodies. This is known as the multiple rigid rotator model, and it is used to study the rotational motion of systems with more than one rigid body. This can be useful in understanding the behavior of complex molecules or objects with multiple rotating parts, such as a gyroscope.