The role of binding energy in fusion

In summary: The mass of the atoms is always smaller than the sum of the masses of the individual nucleons, because some energy is required to hold the nucleus together. This energy is released when you break the nucleus apart.
tripleA
I am doing a high school research project on nuclear fusion and i just wanted to double check if my understanding of the role of binding energy in fusion reactions was correct.

So we add energy in the form of heat to a tritium atom of mass "3" approximately and deuterium of mass "2" , this is the energy required to overcome the strong nuclear force and break apart the atom into its nucleons and that energy is converted into mass. So the nucleons have greater mass but less energy than the atom. Then we somehow get the nucleons to combine, i haven't researched how we do this yet, to form Helium of mass "4". The mass of the Helium "4" is smaller than the combined mass of our two starting products which have a mass of "5" This mass difference is the energy which is released during fusion and which we can harness.

This is my current understanding but i have a feeling something is wrong? Because then how does fusion release energy when two deuteriums are used as the starting product?

Another question i wanted to ask is if the mass of atoms which we have calculated using the semi-empirical mass formula is an approximation how do we know the mass of atoms is not a little bit larger and the same as the mass of the individual nucleons?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www2.lbl.gov/abc/Basic.html

See above. (your description is unfortunately quite wrong).

When H2 and H3 combine, the result is He4 and a neutron. The energy release comes from the mass difference between the incoming and the out going particles.

In general, binding energy of any nucleus is the energy equivalent of the difference in mass of the sum of component nucleons and the nucleus.

So we add energy in the form of heat to a tritium atom of mass "3" approximately and deuterium of mass "2" , this is the energy required to overcome the strong nuclear force and break apart the atom into its nucleons and that energy is converted into mass. So the nucleons have greater mass but less energy than the atom.
Heating the atoms just makes them moving faster, it does not change their internal structure or break them apart. And the energy is way too low to do that anyway.
Then we somehow get the nucleons to combine
Deuterium and Tritium repel each other (they are both positively charged), but as they are so fast, they can come very close to each other just by random chance - so close that the strong force attracts them and let's them fuse. The resulting collection of 2 protons and 3 neutrons is extremely unstable and emits a single neutron. This process releases a lot of energy and you get a very fast neutron and a fast He-4 nucleus. The sum of their masses is a bit smaller than the sum of tritium+deuterium mass.

tripleA said:
Another question i wanted to ask is if the mass of atoms which we have calculated using the semi-empirical mass formula is an approximation how do we know the mass of atoms is not a little bit larger and the same as the mass of the individual nucleons?
You just measure the mass of the nucleus.
Good mass spectrometers can see the mass defect, and Penning traps can measure the mass down to the level of electronvolts (1 billionth of the proton mass!).

1. What is binding energy?

Binding energy is the amount of energy required to hold together the nucleus of an atom. It is a result of the strong nuclear force that acts between the protons and neutrons within the nucleus.

2. How does binding energy play a role in fusion?

In fusion, two or more nuclei combine to form a larger nucleus. This process releases a significant amount of energy due to the difference in binding energy between the reactant nuclei and the product nucleus. The excess energy is released in the form of heat and light.

3. What is the relationship between binding energy and stability of a nucleus?

The higher the binding energy per nucleon (proton or neutron), the more stable the nucleus is. This is because a higher binding energy means that it takes more energy to break apart the nucleus, making it more difficult for it to undergo radioactive decay.

4. How does the amount of binding energy affect the efficiency of a fusion reaction?

The amount of binding energy released during a fusion reaction determines the efficiency of the reaction. The higher the binding energy, the more energy is released, making the reaction more efficient. Therefore, scientists aim to achieve fusion reactions with high binding energies to produce more energy.

5. Can binding energy be used as a source of energy?

Yes, binding energy can be harnessed as a source of energy through nuclear fusion reactions. However, currently, the technology to sustain a controlled fusion reaction and harvest the released energy is still being developed. Scientists are continuously working towards making fusion a viable and sustainable energy source for the future.